Entering US After I-130 approval

reazuddin

My mother came to US on B2 visa. Then I applied I-130 for my mother (didn't apply for I-485 or anything else). Then my mother left US. After leaving US, her I-130 got approved. The problem is I selected the option of applying through the local consulate. But now I want her to come here and then apply for adjustment of status (I-485). Local consulate processing is just too lengthy. Is this doable? Will they let her enter US with her B2 visa? And process I-485 instead of doing it through the local consulate?

Thanks,
- Reaz

Using a NIV to enter the US while harboring a preconceived intent of filing for AOS is frowned upon, could be deemed a fraudulent attempt at obtaining an immigration benefit. Your mom should proceed with the CP as planned.

Oh - I combined these two -
1. I see people in my circle entering US on B2 visa while there I-130 is pending or approved.
2. As you said -- "someone who is already in the US can file AOS".

Further clarification. Someone already in the US when decision to file AOS was made (due to a change in circumstances) can file for AOS. Your mom’s case does not currently meet this requirement.

Oh - I combined these two -
1. I see people in my circle entering US on B2 visa while there I-130 is pending or approved.
If CBP thinks she is entering with immigrant intent to adjust they may refuse her entry.