Entering U.S. on I-551 Stamp

sk2002sk

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I will be going for vacation out of the country and re-entering the U.S. using the I-551 stamp in my passport. Given how low-tech the I-551 stamp is, I am very concerned as to what other documents I need to carry to support the authenticity of the stamp? Could you please let me know... anyone recently travelled like that?

I have some other questions as well:

1. Will I have to undergo Secondary Inspection? What does that mean to the Port-of-Entry immigration process?

2. Do I need to fill in a new I-94 Form while entering the country?

3. At the port of entry, can I stand in the line for Permanent Residents and U.S. Citizens?

Thanks!
SK...

I am in the same boat.

I heard that, you can stand in GC line at POE.

I think you better to carry approved 'copy' of I 485.

If you have 'copy' of Advance Parole & EAD ( old one is also fine) Just in case and it is not mandatory.

That was my idea but if anyone in the discussion forum know, please advise us!.

tnx
gseekar.

should have no problem

SK2002Sk,

I recently entered US from Mexico using that stamp. No issues at all. You won't need any I94, you can go in the line for permanent residents and citizens. Almost everyone recognises that stamp. In my case, the officer asked where I went, why and for how long - he was looking up some info on the system as he was asking those questions. He stamped my passport with an admission date and at valid until, he wrote 'LPR'. He asked if I was waiting for the card and I said yes. Last question was in which city I got the stamping done. I don't foresee any problems entering on the stamp.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Srinu_GC

Did you eneter Mexico using I-551 stamp?Any problems getting in?I'm going on a vacation in Mexico and still waiting for the plastic card.I was wondering if I had to go for a Mexican Visa or the stamp is good enough.

stamp was good enough

Yep, I entered using the stamp. The airline staff lady asked me if I were a permanent resident..I said yes..and showed the stamp. didn't have any problem.
Enjoy your vacation, have a safe trip.

Hi,

I got the approval notice (I-797) from NSC, but it does not have any information regarding where and when to have stamp. What is I-551? Do you think it is fine for me just set up INFOPASS appointment? What documents do I need to bring for stamp?

I lived in MI

Thanks.
Fang

STAMP Question

Hi,

I got the approval notice (I-797) from NSC, but it does not have any information regarding where and when to have stamp. What is I-551? Do you think it is fine for me just set up INFOPASS appointment? What documents do I need to bring for stamp?

I lived in MI

Thanks.
Fang

I crossed into Mexico on Saturday after going through the greencard interview in April. The immigration officer told me that I had a Greencard valid for ten years and that the I551 stamp she gave me was sufficient to travel out of the country and work on.....though when I got to customs crossing back into the USA I was told by two customs agents that I needed my actual greencard and that my stamp was wrong and I wasn't allowed to enter back into the USA. They asked me where my petition papers were and where I was married, and told me that my petition wasn't approved....etc,etc...huge nightmare. I almost got stranded...so now I have to go back to USCIS and ask them if my I551 stamp is correct....I have two red stamps on one passport page....one reads "processed for I-551 temporary evidence for lawful admission for permanent residence valid until april 2006. employment authorised"......is this right????? ..the other one says "ADJUSTED SND" I personally think its a beaurecratic error. The USCIS officer obviously knows what she is doing...Either way its still gave me a shock, I was going to fly home a week from my Greencard interview.....any advice would be appreciated..

kiwibird

kiwibird said:
I crossed into Mexico on Saturday after going through the greencard interview in April. The immigration officer told me that I had a Greencard valid for ten years and that the I551 stamp she gave me was sufficient to travel out of the country and work on.....though when I got to customs crossing back into the USA I was told by two customs agents that I needed my actual greencard and that my stamp was wrong and I wasn't allowed to enter back into the USA. They asked me where my petition papers were and where I was married, and told me that my petition wasn't approved....etc,etc...huge nightmare. I almost got stranded...so now I have to go back to USCIS and ask them if my I551 stamp is correct....I have two red stamps on one passport page....one reads "processed for I-551 temporary evidence for lawful admission for permanent residence valid until april 2006. employment authorised"......is this right????? ..the other one says "ADJUSTED SND" I personally think its a beaurecratic error. The USCIS officer obviously knows what she is doing...Either way its still gave me a shock, I was going to fly home a week from my Greencard interview.....any advice would be appreciated..
see: http://images.google.com/images?q=I-551+stamp&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images
yours sounds like the right stamp!!!

I-551 Stamp not accepted at C.A/ Mexico Customs..

rdip said:

Thank-you rdip for sending me to that site!....That is the stamp that I have in my passport...along with the 'ADJUSTED SND-245' stamp below it.....After going through the whole adjustment process and feeling like I came out the other side as a permanent resident alien....It was awful to be told the reverse.....both customs agents treated me like I had no legal right to be in the USA.... Neither of them looked up my details on the computer, I have a feeling they looked at the page in front that in handwriting said my I-485 had been filed.....I've been married to a US citizen, active military for four years...our petition was delayed because of his many deployments and we had to transfer our papers three different offices because of his job.....big mess.....Anyway....thanks for the information, it's been really helpful...

How did you come back?
They just let you in?
kiwibird said:

What is this 'ADJUSTED SND-245' stamp?
kiwibird said:
Thank-you rdip for sending me to that site!....That is the stamp that I have in my passport...along with the 'ADJUSTED SND-245' stamp below it.....After going through the whole adjustment process and feeling like I came out the other side as a permanent resident alien....It was awful to be told the reverse.....both customs agents treated me like I had no legal right to be in the USA.... Neither of them looked up my details on the computer, I have a feeling they looked at the page in front that in handwriting said my I-485 had been filed.....I've been married to a US citizen, active military for four years...our petition was delayed because of his many deployments and we had to transfer our papers three different offices because of his job.....big mess.....Anyway....thanks for the information, it's been really helpful...

fatpig said:
How did you come back?
They just let you in?
They let me come back through the border because my husband was standing next to me with his active-duty military ID and after they saw that he went over our case history with the second customs officer who was far more civil towards us. We left with a warning that I was not allowed out of the country until my actual GC arrives in the mail...but I have since found out that they were the ones who need to get their facts checked and do their job properly...it wouldn't of been a big deal if I'd had to stay in Mexico over the weekend...but if I had flown back from NZ and gone through the same hassles with some ignorant customs officer at LAX...it would've been a worse and more expensive mess....
I think the 'ADJUSTED SND-245' refers to the new changes in immigration law that became effective in December 2004. Not absolute on that though...

Hi Mr. magajmari,

Thanks for the info but there is Employer info in the approval notice of I -485?. I have a copy of I-485 bcz they took my original at the time of stamping.