Entering Canada for H1B stamping.

javaduke

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

Here's a chronological outline of my situation:

1] Came to US on F1(MS in Comp. Sci./visa issued with validity until August, 2002) - August, 1999
2] Graduated in June, 2002
3] Got OPT - recieved card October, 2002
4] Got job on OPT - May 2003
5] OPT expired July 2003
6] Employer(consulting co.) applied for H1B - July 2003 just 1 week before OPT expired
7] Another firm(consulting co.) applied for new H1B (premium processing) while old petition was pending - Sept, 2003
8] First H1B approval - November 2003 (After 1 RFE was replied to by new employer)
9] Got a much better offer in December 2003 and accepted it immediately
10] Got new H1B from new employer - January, 2004

I need to travel out of the US very soon and cannot get enough leave to go to my home country(India) to apply for the H1B visa. I am going to apply for the H in Canada since that looks like the only option available to me. However, the Canadian embassy has put up documentation online that says something to the effect of one having to have a valid US visa in order to return to the US in case a visa is denied by the US consulate. With that policy in effect would they issue me the visa to go to Canade for my stamping or not? If anyone has been through a similar experience and can offer any insights I will be highly greatful for any advice or suggestions on how to approach the Canadians for their visa.

Thanks.

It is relatively very easy to get a visa for Canada. You can go in early in the morning and they issue it in the afternoon.
However, as per the rules, if your visa in Canada is denied, you cannot enter USA. Also, it is not easy to get an appointment for visa stamping in Toronto at short notice. Think monteal is easier. You can check the availability via their web site. Dont know where you plan to go for stamping.
All the best!!