Entered using AP at LAX airport ...

max2k1

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks !

Went on a vacation and came back this week :)
Entered using AP at LA airport.

In LA there is no "secondary inspection" as such. When you come off the plane, there are the usual counters for LPR/Citizens and Visitors ... in the Visitors block, among the first there is a counter that's called "Seamen/Parole" ... they process AP only at this place (I think 2 officers).
No issues at all ... I just gave my original AP and Passport ... I continue to use H1 to work for the same employer. The officer just asked some basic questions while looking at the computer screen ( questions like: What's ur SSN, where did u apply for 485 etc)

EDIT: The entire process (to stamp PP & I94) took only 10 mins or so ... again there was no separate "Secondary Inspection" (which usually delays the process by upto an hour !)

Any questions ask me ... I can answer it while all of this is still fresh in my head :)

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
what's stamped on your I-94

Hi, I believe they stamped something like "Paroled until ..." on your new I-94, then on that stamp there was one line beginning with "Purpose...", what did the offier put there? Did they put "AOS" or "H1B pursuant to...", or something else? The reason I asked this was that I read from some other threads that if you want to continue to work with H1 after using AP, you have to show both I-797 H1 approval notice and AP to the officer, then the officer will not write "AOS", instead he should write "H1B pursuant to...", and only in this case you are fine to continue to use H1. Please correct me if I have misunderstanding about the requirements. Thanks.

liyan said:
Hi, I believe they stamped something like "Paroled until ..." on your new I-94, then on that stamp there was one line beginning with "Purpose...", what did the offier put there? Did they put "AOS" or "H1B pursuant to...", or something else? The reason I asked this was that I read from some other threads that if you want to continue to work with H1 after using AP, you have to show both I-797 H1 approval notice and AP to the officer, then the officer will not write "AOS", instead he should write "H1B pursuant to...", and only in this case you are fine to continue to use H1. Please correct me if I have misunderstanding about the requirements. Thanks.
They put AOS for me .... I checked with my attorney and what they put here does not impact your ability to work on H1.

You may want to recheck that info ... btw, where did you hear this ?

liyan said:
I once read a very long thread with some people posting their experiences in getting H1 instead of AOS in their I-94, but I coudldn't locate it now. But I do find another short thread about this question:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=157552&highlight=AP+H1

Please read the second message on that thread.

Thanks.
Well ... not sure about that information ...

I asked my attorney about this very specifically ... I was told not to show H1 papers as it might confuse the immigration officer ( since I don't have a H1 stamp - obviously).

My attorney is still saying that am ok to work on H1 -- so am not worrying too much.

liyan said:
I once read a very long thread with some people posting their experiences in getting H1 instead of AOS in their I-94, but I coudldn't locate it now. But I do find another short thread about this question:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=157552&highlight=AP+H1

Please read the second message on that thread.

Thanks.
I-94 expiry date depends on either visa expiry date or AP expiry date, so people can use whichever is later. This is what I also did.

fast_gc_seeker said:
I-94 expiry date depends on either visa expiry date or AP expiry date, so people can use whichever is later. This is what I also did.
When you enter using AP, you will be paroled for a year from the date of entry (irrespective of the AP expiry date).

Actually the date stamped means nothing at all ... you are in valid status all the time (AOS pending) and work status depends on the H1 approval or EAD validity. So after entering on AP, the I-94 date loses its meaning.

max2k1 said:
When you enter using AP, you will be paroled for a year from the date of entry (irrespective of the AP expiry date).

Actually the date stamped means nothing at all ... you are in valid status all the time (AOS pending) and work status depends on the H1 approval or EAD validity. So after entering on AP, the I-94 date loses its meaning.
yeah u r legal in country if u r AOS is pending.

do they Finger print and photo for AP holders...

My wife and son came last month on AP.. At the POE they went for secondary inspection and came out in 10 mins.. but the officers there have not done either the finger printing or photo... as they usually do with other visa holders....
is it some thing normal....????

rohilr said:
My wife and son came last month on AP.. At the POE they went for secondary inspection and came out in 10 mins.. but the officers there have not done either the finger printing or photo... as they usually do with other visa holders....
is it some thing normal....????
Yeah - the US VISIT system ( fingerprints and photo ) is only for folks entering on a non-immigrant visa ... AP holders are "exempt"

max2k1, thank you for sharing your experience. Due to the visa I have (k1) my i-94 expired in March 2004, but I have the AP which is valid until Oct-2005. If I travel overseas and I come back, May I have any problems with the immigration authorities?
Reading the information of AP, Is it true that the authorities may suspend the process while you are overseas?
Thank you for your comments.

GB

hi all

if we were on bench (out of work) for quiet some time in 2002 and 2003 but are good in 2004 and right now on bench, can we travel using AP?
if so what questions do they ask while returning at POE?
do they ask for pay stubs, tax returns, EVL etc?

please advise me as I want to travel in February to India and want to get married?

for further details view my signature

Explorer19 said:
hi all

if we were on bench (out of work) for quiet some time in 2002 and 2003 but are good in 2004 and right now on bench, can we travel using AP?
if so what questions do they ask while returning at POE?
do they ask for pay stubs, tax returns, EVL etc?

please advise me as I want to travel in February to India and want to get married?

for further details view my signature
From my experience (which is not that much !!), the officer did NOT ask for anything like paystub etc.

The only documents that I gave were all copies of the AP, passport and I-94 (and of course the stupid customs form).

I was not even asked about my employer or my current work.

OTOH, since you were good in 2004, you should be fine ... I don't think you are expected to carry more than the last 3 or 4 paystubs ... which would be 2 months (bi-weekly). So relax .

hi max2K1

I am on bench now and don't even have 3 or 4 paystubs. The last paystubs that I can get are from Sept 2004.

I am planning to travel in Feb 2005, plan to get married and come back on AP

I came to USA on F1 visa in 1997 and never went back, so do not have H1 visa stamp at all in my passport. The only visa I have is F1 from 1997 which expired in 1998.

I never had a gap in I-94

Question for max2K1

Hi max2k1,

Some one told me that the officer will cross the number on new I-94 card and write the your old I-94 card number on the new card, is it true since you just come back? Thank you, I am kind of confused.

su

su_su said:
Hi max2k1,

Some one told me that the officer will cross the number on new I-94 card and write the your old I-94 card number on the new card, is it true since you just come back? Thank you, I am kind of confused.

su
It was not done for me .... the new I-94 number was left as-is.

What you are telling sounds like some kind of border crossing (like Canada for example) ...

Also nothing like this was done for any of my friends who came back (by air) and used AP.