Emplyement History in N400

nice_guy_gc

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I will be eligible shortly (May 2009) to file for natualization. I am in the process of putting together all the information needed to fill out form N400.

I have few questions that I believe experience folks on this forum can help -

1. I registered a <XYZ Inc> business entity in 2006 with myself as President and my wife also as a stake holder. At the same time I was working for another company. I did open a bank account in the name of this business but never had any business transactions. I filed for disolution of this entity the same year.

Now when filling out the employment history for myself, do I need to provide details of this business entity as well? I never received any income from it. And all the time I was employed by some other organization.

2. My US based employer sent me to UK on a 5 month temp business assignment from ~Oct'05 to Feb'06. I went there on a short term business Visa. Other than this trip, I only have 4 one month long trips back to my native country during the last 5 years.

I have always filed my taxes as resident and never had the intention to leave US permanently.

Do you guys see any issues with this 5 month long trip for my naturalization?

I think I am fine but just confirming with this forum. I have pay stubs, W2, IRS tax returns for that year and probably I can get a letter from my previous employer stating it was a temp business assignment while employed in US. Would that help? I changed job 2-3 months after coming back to US from UK. More info, I have been working for my current employer for almost 3 years now.

Appreciate any inputs. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not need to mention your company as you did not really earn anything from there...

You are surely OK with the 5 month trip and the few 1 month trips...
It is all within the rules...

Employment History

I also thought I don't have to mention it under employment. My only concern is this info showing up in some background checks with USCIS and they thinking I didn't disclose it. When I try to do a wire with my bank, they ask a number of qs and sometimes it shows up as a Q, if I have been assocoiated with this business entity.

I am thinking of putting it in there, just to be on the safer side. Would that be the right thing to do?

Put it in there and add an explaination. I needed multiple pages and couldn't re-call exact dates, thus I had a disclaimer stating that I put in everything as best as I could with no intentional omission

I did the same for my travels - can't do more that be as accurat as can be and as I often stated, you only know about this when you apply for the N400 that you have to go several years back and I find it hard to believe that people with lots of travels or changing employers can list everything 100% accurate.

For as long as there is no willful or intentionally false reporting, what can be reasonably expected?

any inputs?

Hello Guys.

can I get more input on my situation, especially # 1. I am still confused whats the right thing to do.

Thanks,

Put in that you had a business on the side.

It's good enough. I went between 1099, w2, 1040 etc all my US life and I just listed my engagements.

I did business all over the Globe and it didn't matter at all, FOR AS LONG as I listed them.
I can't do 1099 with a non-US company, only 1040, thus what possible "proof" is there but my contract and invoice?

List it and forget about it. You registered a business and if you made money or not doesn't matter. It's a mute point. Remember - this is the country of opportunities and that won't be held against you.