employment layoff benifits

born_to_win

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
I have a question. I lost my job last month and still looking for jobs. I
got my stamping in Chennai and POE NJ. I didn\'t get my card. My friend also lost his job but he got his G.card. He is claming employment layoff benifits from ESC(1/4 of salary). He advised me, if i have A# i can claim benifits and it doesn\'t matter whether i have card or not. He told that until my X-Employer pays the unemployed insurance for me, ESC wont pay me a penny. As per his advise, i went to website. That damn website doesn\'t recognise my SSN and my last name. How come his name and SSN is recognised by ESC and not mine? Is it b\'coz he got his card? But
i am positive that the query asked only SSN and last name.

can any one explain??

It seems you are not in their system

I heard some other similar cases where person was not in the system when passport stamped and got denied for unemployment benifits. Did you get your passport stamped or CP case. If you got stamped (485 case), it should be in system. Time to call them and figure out. BTW, what is the site URL?

Here is the URL

Chagan,
This morning the system recognised my SSN and my employer paid a good amount for my insurance. I recommend each and every person to check their employment layoff benifits. If u r employer doesn\'t pay nail them. It\'s simple and free.

The url is "esc.state.xx.us" where xx stands for u r state. If you are from Tennesse, it is TN. There is Button, which will say
"personalized benifits".
click that.

Rest is for u guys to figure out.

Can i cliam benifits

Guys,
Can i claim benifits now or do you think it\'s not the right time. Please, advise me.

Thanks,

esc.state.xx.us didn\'t work for New Jersey with NJ as xx

Can someone give me the link or information about how to check whether my employer is paying or not

Did you get your passport stamped atleast???

You should have your passport stamped atleast before you can claim benefits. Unemployment benefits is for citizens/permanent residents. Passport stamp is equivalent to GC.

Don\'t apply for one, with just alien number. This would be considered fraudulent case. One of my friend had a case against him filed by the Workforce Development because his SSN number was not recognized as a permanent resident alien number. They not only asked him to pay back all the money they paid him until then but also a fine.

But actually it was not his problem, because he had his passport stamped and later he had to prove that his case was not a fraudulent one. But on the other hand if he had done it with just his alien number..it would have been a problem later on for citizenship too.

yes

I got my passport stamped and i am expecting my GC soon. I read a posting from previous posting that sometimes A# is not recognised by the ESC folks. I am not sure whethere mine will be recognized or not.
after passport stamping i was in job for 2.4 months. Then i was laid off. My question is Is it ok to claim layoff claims??
Thanks,

Clarification

You said you need to get your passport stamped, before you apply for unemployment benefit
Now this alien number thing will apply once your I-485 is approved and Passport is not stamped, that is when we should not apply for unemployment benefit????

whar are our rights for unemployment benefit layoff insurance

Is every employer required to pay for this insurance or we have to force them ...

How to find if my employer is paying or not...

Does employer pay for this insurance regularly or they at the time of laying off..does it sound stupid!! may be but still clarify

No Title

Are you sure this is the site address for TN state.
esc.state.tn.us
I can not find this site.

What is CORBA related to Merdical Benefit ...

I heart once you are laid-off, your medical insurance can be continue for 18 months. The medical insurance will be continue with the same coverage under CORBA. Do anybody know what is exactly CORBA and is there any kind of insurance payment employee has to make to continue this insurance. Will it cover 18 months with the same benefit?
My employer is asking me to go for non paid vacation rather than laying me off. I got my green card almost 8 month before. I am on bench and trying get the next project.
Any help would be highly appriciated.

look for unemployment benefit & your state name using Yahoo search

Like in my case for california the department is called EDD, so for all the states it is different.

No Title

This is known as COBRA plan. Which is as for the federal laws
the previous employer has to provide the health insurance if
the ex-employee needs it for 18 months from the date of
last working day with that employer.

Let us take this example : 1. employee "x" got layed off by employer
"y". Then the employee "x" can opt for this and that case he has to pay the premium to that employer "y". The premium will be decided
by the employer "y". Normally they calcualte how much they are paying
to the insurance for person/family and they may add some administrative charges to it.

2. If "x" leaves on his own but he still wants the same health insurance then he can ask "y" to provide this.

3. The benifits does not change.

4. In my case I worked for company "F" and left that company
   and joined company "H". But continued on the COBRA plan
   for all 18 months. "F" did not charge any administrative
   expenses.

Hope this helps.

No Title

It is essentially being in the health plan (subject to plan changes) for as long as you like for a maximum of 18 continous months. But you foot the bill (insurance premium) this time.

Unemployment benefit

Is every employer required to pay for this insurance or we have to force them ...

How to find if my employer is paying or not...

Does employer pay for this insurance regularly or they at the time of laying off..does it sound stupid!! may be but still clarify

No Title

It is COBRA, stands for Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act

Terminated employees or those who lose coverage because of reduced work hours may be able to buy group coverage for themselves and their families for limited periods of time.

If you are entitled to COBRA benefits, your health plan must give you a notice stating your right to choose to continue benefits provided by the plan. You have 60 days to accept coverage or lose all rights to benefits. Once COBRA coverage is chosen, you may be required to pay for the coverage.

Lot of us are IT guys and like CORBA!!!