Employer not giving my I-485 reciept and EAD application rejected

gc4now

Registered Users (C)
Hi gurus and friends,

I have changed employer but my previous employer did not give me my I-485 reciept. I am trying to renew my EAD. I got the application back as I did not attach i-485 reciept. Please help me on how to get I-485 reciept or any altenatives to file EAD and AP.

Regards,
gc4now

485 is your process and Attorney / Employer should give it to you unless you are having some agreement on that. Employer has control on the process on Labor and I-140 only. If they retained your 485, it should be with your permission only. I am not sure but I think it is unauthorized for them to keep it away from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call USCIS 1-800-375-5283

Call USCIS 1-800-375-5283. They will ask your personal info, A#, etc,..Give your (new) address. Ask for a copy of Notice of Action for 485.

Or try to use FOIA route to get all papers related to your GC process, if you are not in a hurry as It takes several weeks to receive them.

You can find tons of information about FOIA from this forum.

Hi All,

Thanks for your reponses,
I did not get the reciept in the mail. It went attorney directly.
How to use FOIA. How long it takes. I need to apply EAD soon. I called USCIS for copy but they are saying they can not give a copy of reciept.
Please help on this.
Regards,
gc4now

gc4now said:
Hi All,

Thanks for your reponses,
I did not get the reciept in the mail. It went attorney directly.
How to use FOIA. How long it takes. I need to apply EAD soon. I called USCIS for copy but they are saying they can give a copy of reciept.
Please help on this.
Regards,
gc4now

Copy of Receipt should be fine for EAD purpose.

gc4now said:
Hi All,
Sorry there is a typo in above message. They can not give copy of reciept.

Send a letter to the lawyer requesting the copy of the receipt or send a fax. If he does not comply, call the state bar ethics board and file a complaint (before doing this, find out the name of the lawyer who handled the case, or handling the case ...). This is an ethical violation on the part of the lawyer and he may be disciplined for this. It doesn't matter who paid his fees, he is your attorney, has to be loyal to you and must comply with your reasonable request. Or perhaps, simply threat of filing a complaint with the state bar may suffice.

If you the lawyer CA based, here is the website of CA Bar.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?cid=10179

Who paid the 485 fees.

If U paid then Ur number will be written behind the check.

Hope that helps.