Employer not giving I-485 reciept Please help

gc4now

Registered Users (C)
Hi gurus and friends,

I have changed employer but my previous employer did not give me my I-485 reciept. I am trying to renew my EAD. I got the application back as I did not attach i-485 reciept. Please help me on how to get I-485 reciept or any altenatives to file EAD and AP.

Regards,
gc4now

gc4now said:
Hi gurus and friends,

I have changed employer but my previous employer did not give me my I-485 reciept. I am trying to renew my EAD. I got the application back as I did not attach i-485 reciept. Please help me on how to get I-485 reciept or any altenatives to file EAD and AP.

Regards,
gc4now
485 receipt belongs to you (as its *your* application - not your employers) - you should have been given the receipt.

You need the receipt for filing EAD - I don't know a workaround.

Do you have your 485 receipt number & A# ? (A# is easy - it is printed on your old EAD).
You can try calling the uscis 800# - give your A# and ask them if they can send a copy of your 485 receipt - you can say attorney's office lost it or it was damaged or some other sad story.
Your luck would depend on the representative - so keep trying even if a few reps say no to you.

Also call and write a letter to your old attorney requesting this information.

One final option is to file FOIA request for your 485 docs -- but this is the *slowest* possible way to get this information - it takes them 6 months or even more to get the docs (if ever).
So you can file this and while waiting try all other options -- you'll one day get it from FOIA.

Your employer is probably not very familiar with the immigration law. 485 belongs to you adn they have no right to hold it. In doing so they are violating the law. In fact, your attorney who filed the 485 has the legal obligation to give you the 485 receipt. If they failed to do so, they have failed as your attorney. When they entered with form G-28, they are representing YOU, not your employer.

I suggest you contact the attorney first.

gc4now said:
Hi gurus and friends,

Regards,
gc4now

gc4now said:
I I got the application back as I did not attach i-485 reciept.

How did Ur employer get a hand on Ur 485... It should have come to Ur home address or Ur attorneys' office ..
[Call Ur attorney -- he should give U the receipt ... he cannot stop that -- well he need employer permission only for 140 approvals]

Any way ... this is how I did without 485 submission...

I did an on-line EAD application... I did not submit any documents for EAD ..
[ I had to go to the application support centers to get my ead Biometrics] and got approval in 3 weeks.

For AP (On-line) I had submitted the photograph and receipt..

I hope this can help...

eBhola.

gc4now.

Better to change your address when you call USCIS, and if needed change attorney by process (a form should be there) if you have problems.

If attorney is not cooperative to you on 485, do you need their services ?

Hi All

Thanks for your response.
I have paid to employer and he paid to attorney. Now attorney is not helping me.
I called USCIS and they are saying they can not send a copy.
I have changed attorney already but he also asking for I-485 reciept.

regards,
gc4now