Emergency travel- applying for AP at local USCIS office

ggsr

Registered Users (C)
Did anybody apply for AP at a local USCIS office? What is the procedude?
how long they take to issue AP? What are the valid reasons to issue AP at local office? Any input greatly appreciated.--thanks in advance

This was about 1 1/2 year back story, that time I went to local (Arlington,VA) INS office for my Interim EAD (walk in). The same day, I say one lady applying for emergency AP, the reason she was applying for the emergency AP was, her fathers Bi-pass surgery. I thing she has doctors report and some other documents to support it. I guess shy made trips to INS two days. Finally get got it.

Hope that help, not sure, what is the procedure now, since we need to take the appointment.

AP Predicament

I am in a similar predicament. I need to travel abroad on Dec 17, 2005 because of family reasons, and I just realised that my AP expires on Dec 6th. What can I do to have an AP in my hand within the remaining 25 days?

Any suggestions are helpful!

Kush said:
I am in a similar predicament. I need to travel abroad on Dec 17, 2005 because of family reasons, and I just realised that my AP expires on Dec 6th. What can I do to have an AP in my hand within the remaining 25 days?

You should have already applied for it when you are going for getting an emergency. They would first ask you as why you didnt apply your AP 90 days before expiration?

Thanks, but that really doesn't answer my question "What can I do to get the AP within 25 days?". I need a solution to the problem! Is there any???

I am well aware of the fact that the AP should have been renewed but it didn't seem necessary then. And now due to unfolding of certain situations, I need to travel!!

Has anyone been successful in getting an AP in such a short notice? If yes, what lengths did you go to to achieve the same?

I applied emergency AP at Neward, NJ in Dec 2004. Made an infopass appointment online. Walked in early in the morning, came out that after noon time with issued AP.

Documents:
- direct family member's medical reports; better get notary for it
- I485 receipt
- AP receipt, if you have one
- 2 photos
- passport, h1b, and other proofs of your legal status

Note:
- the valid reason has to be emergency, ie. family member taking surgery, etc
- check website for your local INS office's further requirements

Kush said:

If the reason for travel is a real emergency (something close to a life or death issue), then you can go to the ASC & get your AP issued.

If your travel is for something scheduled (like a wedding), then they won't issue an AP - you can try your luck as you have nothing to lose.

BTW, if you have valid H/L status, you can get your visa stamped in the consulate abroad and enter based on that (you don't need AP in that case).

I have three weddings to attend. Sounds like a long shot that an AP will be issued since the circumstances are not excruciating, but I am going to, at least, make an attempt. I switched jobs since receiving the EAD which rendered my H1 invalid so travelling on it is definitely not an option.

I have already e-filed the I-131. Sadly enough the application is being handled by the California Service Center while I am in New York. The walk in attempt might be futile, nevertheless there is always a shimmering ray of hope. Will keep you posted after by visit to the BICS tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch for your feedback.

Kush,

I am also in same boat, I sent my advance parole for renewal, its almost been a 60 days, no approval yet, we already have DEC tickets to India for wedding.
Please share your experience.

Thanks
smbasha

reasons for AP?

Reading the instructions to AP's application it sounds like one must have valid reasons to apply (like emergency, etc). I don't have any emergencies, but thought would be helpful to have AP on hand should a need to travel arise. Can you please share your experiances what reasons did you provide applying for an AP? Thanks!

nati309 said:
Reading the instructions to AP's application it sounds like one must have valid reasons to apply (like emergency, etc). I don't have any emergencies, but thought would be helpful to have AP on hand should a need to travel arise. Can you please share your experiances what reasons did you provide applying for an AP? Thanks!
You don't have to provide any emergent reason.
If you wish, you can state that you want it for travel abroad -- if I remember, I didn't provide any reason when applying for my AP -- I got it approved just fine.

Just got back from the BICS office in NYC. Did not get the AP document today, though I am not disheartened. The immigration counselor suggested that if I don't receive the document a week before the departure date, I have another walk-in and they should be able to provide me with the AP doc.

Hope it helps.
Will post in a few weeks to let you know the results.

thanks for your answer, max2k1!

max2k1 said:
You don't have to provide any emergent reason.
If you wish, you can state that you want it for travel abroad -- if I remember, I didn't provide any reason when applying for my AP -- I got it approved just fine.

Walked into 26 Fed. Plaza (NYC) a week prior to departure date, and waltzed out with the AP doc. Took the BICS a whole day as I was the among the first few in, and the last one out but finally they came through. Just got back from Desh, and the BICS wait was well worth it.