Emergency Medicaid for visitors?

samadss

Registered Users (C)
My father is visitng me and he does not have any medial insurance. Recently he got hosptialized for a day, and now we are slapped with a medical bill.

He is not a US national, so he does not have a social security number or green card. He is visiting me on a B1 visa.

Is it possible to get emergency medicaid for him? The hospical staff told me that if I submit a letter of support to him, then it may be possible to get emergency medicaid for him. But I am not sure if they are trying to trick me in admitting that I support him, so they can come after me.

I guess the bottom line is - can any one share their experience with regards to getting emergency medicaid for visitors who do not have social security number or green card in US ?

I don't think any state/federal program provides any coverage for visitors. However, many hospitals are registered as non-profit organizations and are required to offer "charity" care if the patient is uninsured and meets some income guidelines - basically below US poverty line, which I believe is about $15-18 k per year for a single person (you can check online). Ask your hospital if they offer such charity care and apply for it if they do. For charity care, citizenship/residency status does not matter.

Did you by any chance fill in an I-134 to support your father's visa application?

My father is visitng me and he does not have any medial insurance. Recently he got hosptialized for a day, and now we are slapped with a medical bill.

Emergency Medicaid

Yes 100 % sure your father may be eligible for emergency medicaid. I know this since I am in the Medicaid Business. If you are in California, you should contact Medi-Cal and they have a seperate account for providing Medicaid for those without SSNs.

Was the medical condition of your father critical ?. Would he have lost his life without the treatment ?. Was he admitted to the ICU ? If yes, then it qualifies as an emergency medicaid.

On the other hand If you father is suffering from a heart disease, he may not qualify for Medicaid.

The amount he can get depends on a lot of factors like your father's income, age, money in the bank etc. He may get full or partial payments for his medical bills.

In addition, the hospital also has an account for writting off the bills. You should also talk to the hospital.

If your father is approved, his eligibility for Medicaid will last for 2 months from the time or month he received treatement. Any follow up treatments will also be covered.

Every state has its own eligibility requirements. California has one of the best coverage.

No matter how much money you have, you as a child is not reponsible for your parents Medical Bills and the hospital cannot legally come after you.

He is not a US national, so he does not have a social security number or green card. He is visiting me on a B1 visa.

Is it possible to get emergency medicaid for him? The hospical staff told me that if I submit a letter of support to him, then it may be possible to get emergency medicaid for him. But I am not sure if they are trying to trick me in admitting that I support him, so they can come after me.

I guess the bottom line is - can any one share their experience with regards to getting emergency medicaid for visitors who do not have social security number or green card in US ?
Samadss,
I know this is many years after your post and situation, but can you share what happened in your case? I am in a similar situation, and have been asked to provide a letter of support for the emergency medicaid application.
Did you provide the letter of support? Did the emergency medicaid get approved?