Emergency AP

DODO2001

Registered Users (C)
Dear All,
My I-485 is pending more than 14 months. I have to leave US and go back to my country before November 10 since my grandmother was died last week. I heard I can apply Emergency AP at local INS office. Do anyone have some experiences about applying this kind of AP? Please help! What kind of evidences I need to prepare?
Thanks a lot

No Title

This happened to me last year. I was waiting for my 485 to be approved when my brother-in-law died in India. I wanted to go home in a rush and be with my sister. I went to the local INS office in Philadelphia and applied for an emergency AP. I was rejected because a brother-in-law is not immediate family. But unlike a b-i-l, a grand mother is a blood relative, so they may approve it. But you need to get the proper death certificate and enclose it with your application.

If you don\'t want to go through all that, you can get your AP in the regular way, and all it will take you is 4 days. If you apply for AP by Monday, you will recive it on Thursday. But if you apply on Tuesday, you will have to wait till next Thursday. And for this, you don\'t need anyone\'s death. Just tell them you want to visit your family and that is that.

I don\'t know which is your local INS office. Check their website for more information.

Amar

Thanks a lot

Dear Amar
Thanks a lot about your kindly answer. I\'ll ask death certificate right away. However, I don\'t know if I can make it in time. Probably the regular way you mentioned would be faster. My local INS office now is New Orleans, Louisiana. In fact, I have sent my 2nd AP application to TSC since August 12 but didn\'t get any response yet. I went to New Orleans\' INS office on November 2 to ask if I can aplly AP at New Orleans\' office. They told me I cannot apply AP there except Emergency AP. Could you please tell me more about "AP in 4 days"? I will also check their website right away.
Thanks again
God bless you and your family
VJ

No Title

VJ:

I don\'t know who told you that the New Orleans office only does emergency APs. Their web-site says nothing of the sort. You can check for yourself at:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/neworleans/ABOUTUS.HTM#anchor155614

Here is an excerpt from the above web-page:
---------
Advance Parole:
For certain non-citizens already in the United States wishing or needing to travel abroad prior to the final adjudication of a particular immigration petition, advanced permission is needed to ensure that they will be permitted to return to the United States. This permission may be granted at the discretion of the District Director. This permission should be sought by, but not limited to, asylees, parolees, people with Temporary Protected Status (TPS), certain intending immigrants with an Adjustment of Status (INS Form I-485) applications filed and pending with INS and some others already in the U.S.

Filing Instructions: To apply for Advance Parole, please submit INS Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, addressed U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Room T8001, New Orleans, LA 70113. We need this information at least 30 days before you intend to travel. For information on emergency travel authorization, please contact an Information Officer at 1-800-375-5283 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday through Friday.
------------

As you can see, they accept applications for both regular and emergency APs. What is surprising though is that they say that you should apply 30 days before intended date of travel where as the web-page for the Philadelphia office (which is where I applied) says 7 days. Maybe they are much busier in New Orleans. Or they just say that, but process the paperwork much faster. Maybe you should go and talk to them again. And while you are there, you can also find out if your grand-mother is considered a blood relative and if you can qualify for an emergency AP on that basis.

Best of luck.

Amar