Emergency AP from local office- Boston

pras01

Registered Users (C)
I applied to renew my AP in Jan 2005 and my daughter applied in Feb 2005. My I-131 got transferred to Cleveland, even though I live in MA. Since my father is to undergo a surgery on March 30 and we have already bought my plane tickets, we went to the local Boston office with - receipt of I131, previous AP, passport, I-94, emails from my father asking me to come home, emails from my sister regarding the date of surgery, the doctor's prescription on his letterhead recommending surgery, plane tickets, copy of I-485 receipt, 2 photos, our entire immigration file that weighs 5 lbs. The officer F. Torres was very unhelpful. he said they will have to get our files (I-485, I-131) from Columbus, OH and then he can issue an AP. he didn't know how long that will take. The other option is that we file a new application with new fee and 2 photos today and he couldn't guarantee that we could get the AP today. He was very rude. I asked for 2 things, a fee waiver since we already paid $165 each and a date and appointment when I could come and pick up the AP since I needed to take a day off to do that. He said he couldn't do anything about it. I asked to see his manager. He referred me to his manager. The manager called us an hour later. She at least listened. I showed documentary proof that the USCIS has our new address (USCIS sent me letters at the new address) but transferred our I-485 to Cincinnati, OH, I-131 to Cleveland, OH and now it seems every thing was in Columbus. She went and made a few phone calls and sent some emails. After some more wait, she said she would get the files from columbus by the end of the week. then she could approve the APs. meanwhoile to make sure that we had an emergency AP, just in case the files from columbus didn't arrive (or got lost), we filed new I-131 with fee ($165 each) and 2 photos. The emergency AP will be for one trip only. There is no provision for fee waiver. Although the manager of Boston District Office promised to get us either our real AP or the emergency AP by next week, we are very upset that we had to pay $660 for 2 APs and will have to make a second trip to collect it. Now if we were still living in columbus, none of this would have happened. We would have walked-in and shown my father's paperwork supporting his health problems and the Columbus office would have adjudicated (approved) our I-131 right away since they have our files with all our applications (I-485, I-131, I-765). If you know for sure that your application is in the local office, then you can get the emergency AP, but if it is in another office, you might want to take some other steps e.g. talk to your representative/congressman.
PS: I did talk to my congressman's caseworker, but he wasn't aware that my files need to be in the local office. :mad:

Very sorry to hear about your father's health problems and the troubles you had to go through to get the AP. I hope you will get it in time for your travel.

Try sending similar paperwork to service center to Expedite

I was in similar situation late last year but fortunatley was able to Expedite request through VSC as mentioned in flyer below.

www.adc.org/PDF/phamlet window.pdf

I got AP after 5-7 days of FAXing the request.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

expedite

I had a similar situation last year too. My I-131 was in NSC (also I-485). Got AP 1 week before travel through the senator's office (senator Voinovich, OH). but as explained by the manager of the Boston District office, this time VSC could not adjudicate I-131 as it was in Cleveland and Cleveland could not adjudicate it as the I-485 was in Columbus and Columbus could not adjudicate it as they didn't have the -131 and Boston could do not adjudicate it since they had nothing. Boston can adjudicate the new application for I-131 submitted with new fee and photo) but they need to have someone review my I-485 from Columbus. This morning I got a message from the Boston office manager that she has already had my files reviewed from her counterparts in Columbus and Cleveland and is ready to adjudicate my 'new' I-131 but since I would rather have my initial I-131 adjudicated for multiple visits and my money back (the new fee), she is getting all my files (from Columbus, Cleveland) transferred to Boston. She is confident of getting them by the end of this week. She will update me when my AP is ready to be picked up. Got a message from the Congressman's case worker too- "your files are located in Columbus, OH and are on their way to Boston". Response time of Boston district office manager- 24 hours, Congressman's Neal's office- 3 working days. I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed. The system is broke but still works.

Got a message from Boston office. The A files (including I-485) have already arrived from Columbus, OH as has my parole file from Cleveland. The parole will be adjudicated next week (I-131 RD 1/7/05) and I should get back my new fee.

money order returned

Received my AP from the Boston office- adjudicated on the basis of the application filed in Jan, '05. My dependent's AP filed in Feb, '05 was approved from VSC. They returned the two money orders ($165 X 2 = $330) that we submitted for emergency AP, since there was no need for the emergency AP. Thus, through the intervention of Congressman Richard Neal, and a conscientious manager at the Boston Office, both our original APs were expedited. I am leaving today. :) :) :)

My 2EAD took 1 month. But still wating for 2AP since 12/29/04. Wife got her 2AP 2/22/05. They accepted wife's photos, not mine. The photos were taken at the same place, same time, same camera, same guy, same everything. Because my pictures were "digital". I sent the non-digital photos 3/22/05. Still Waiting.

Letter from VSC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks ago, I called NCSC (800) 375-5283 about my case status. Today, I got the following letter :
----------------------------------------------
On 3/28/05 you contacted USCIS about your case. Some of the key info given to us at that time was the following:

Person who contacted us : MY NAME
Case type: I-485
Filling Date: 10/27/03
Type of Service requested: CASE STATUS
Receipt No: EACXXXXXXXX

The status of this service request is:

Please send your inquiry to the following address:

US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Atlanta District Office
Martin Luther King Jr. Federal Building Room 281
77 Forsyth Street SW
Atlanta, GA 30302

Sincerely,

Paul Novak
Center Director
-------------------------

My question is:
1- I live over 300 miles from ATL, therefore infopass appt. is not very convenient for me. How can I find the status of my case?

2- It looks like when I was applying 2AP renewal, my case is transfered from VSC to Atlanta. Does this effect my 2AP renewal?

3-My old AP expired last month. I am planning to travel in May. I sent my photos for RFE 3/22/05. The website says

------
Receipt Number: EAC058000XXXX

Application Type: I131, APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT

Current Status:

On March 22, 2005, we received your response to our request for evidence or information. It is taking between 150 and 180 days for us to process this kind of case. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case.
----

What are my options at this time? any advises from Gurus are appreciated.