Efiling EB1-B for CA resident, TSC or NSC?

helloworld2008

Registered Users (C)
Hey all,

I am preparing to file my EB1-B application package. I am working in California and I know the application package is supposed to be mailed to NSC. However, I know Efiling has a high possibilty to go to TSC. My question is:

1. Can I do EFiling for EB1-B so that my application can go to TSC although I live and work in California?

2. If Efiling does go to TSC, is it possible TSC will return my application or transfer my application to NSC?

I know many of you filed EB1 and I learned a lot from this forum. Would you please share your Efiling experience if you just Efilied recently? Any suggestions or input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

When you e-file your I-140 at USCIS website, it generates an e-receipt (not Notice of action) containing your name, ....receipt number and ADDRESS where you need send your documents for further processing.

Good luck

Hey all,

I am preparing to file my EB1-B application package. I am working in California and I know the application package is supposed to be mailed to NSC. However, I know Efiling has a high possibilty to go to TSC. My question is:

1. Can I do EFiling for EB1-B so that my application can go to TSC although I live and work in California?

2. If Efiling does go to TSC, is it possible TSC will return my application or transfer my application to NSC?

I know many of you filed EB1 and I learned a lot from this forum. Would you please share your Efiling experience if you just Efilied recently? Any suggestions or input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't understand your question: If you e-file properly, then why would USCIS return your application to you? If they transfer your application, that shouldn't concern you at all, since that's how they decided to process your application.

I understand how Efiling works. However, my attorney seems not in favor of Efiling. He couldn't give me any help. I want to try persuading him and need to collect some information from you guys who are more helpful and know more than my attorney.

I works in CA and my attorney said that I should mail my I140 to NSC. I know most Efilings went to TSC before. Is Efiling still directing to TSC nowdays? even for CA residents like me?

I am afraid that even Efiling told me to mail the pacakge to TSC but they will say I am a CA resident and return my I140 application.

Thanks for your quick replies.

I beleive it used to be that way - but now the center it goes to is still teh same as paper based applications. Also many attorneys do not want to efile - because sending in paper application is getting it done in one shot with lesser of chance of losing documents; you can see from other posts that supporting docs have been lost or not linked to efiled applications.
Another question I have for Lakksh and JK is that if you efile and get a receipt no. then does that given teh A number that is asked for in I-485? or is this another electronic receipt no. that is not same as the number asked for in I-485. In other words, if you e-file how do you file concurrently?
Thank you.

hey, nightsman, now you totally confused me. I thought most or all Efilings go to TSC. Now you are saying "but now the center it goes to is still teh same as paper based applications." Do you mean the Efiling process will ask you to mail the package to the corresponding service center not TSC like bfore?

Is it true? Is it your own experience? Anyone else can confirm this or share their experience?

Thank you.

I read somewhere (here or trackitt) that CA person efiled and the receipt he got asked him to send it to NSC. So I think that loophole has been fixed. Onlyrecently efiled people can confirm this.

E-filing only goes to TSC temporarily. If you are under the jurisdiction of NSC your file will be transfered there eventually. EAD and AP sometimes get approved by TSC, but the I-140 and I-485 will be decided by NSC. NSC is fiercely protective of its turf because it gets resources allocated based on how many cases they have. They would never allow TSC to "take away" some of their cases. Even the case load distribution is purely temporary. Eventually NSC wants/gets the files back. Most lawyers prefer paper filing because service centers are notoriously bad at reconnecting files.

Helloworld - NSC is absolutely right. In your case, it might delay the process as these cases have to be transferred and sometimes 'lost' in the process.

Go with you lawyers advice and do paper filing. As folks mentioned, chances of losing documents is a lot less that way. I have seen people in this forum stuck in I-140 because their documents were lost by USCIS mail room.

I am yet to be convinced on why e-filing is of any benefit at all. So you get your receipt number a bit sooner; big deal! I'd much rather have my entire application sent at once instead of dividing it for the mere satisfaction of feeling technologically superior with little else benefit. But that's just my opinion.

I am yet to be convinced on why e-filing is of any benefit at all. So you get your receipt number a bit sooner; big deal! I'd much rather have my entire application sent at once instead of dividing it for the mere satisfaction of feeling technologically superior with little else benefit. But that's just my opinion.

some people have to meet deadlines (e.g. H1 5th year ends on this coming Tue), so electronic is the only guaranteed way.

I cant agree more with both JK and FreeGC. Unlewss those special circumstances need that, it doesnt seem very helpful.

single or married?

FYI, e-file discriminates those who are not married. There is a field that asks for the names and birthdays of your family members. If you can't provide this info, you won't be able to get to the next section even if you write N/A.

as long as you follow the paper-based instructions on where to file your documents, including your e-file receipt no., then you are safe. also, you should be alarmed if the service center suggested by the e-file is different from the paper-based.

hey, nightsman, now you totally confused me. I thought most or all Efilings go to TSC. Now you are saying "but now the center it goes to is still teh same as paper based applications." Do you mean the Efiling process will ask you to mail the package to the corresponding service center not TSC like bfore?

Is it true? Is it your own experience? Anyone else can confirm this or share their experience?

Thank you.

FYI, e-file discriminates those who are not married. There is a field that asks for the names and birthdays of your family members. If you can't provide this info, you won't be able to get to the next section even if you write N/A.

Where did you get this information. I was not married when my lawyer filed my I-140 electronically. You should write as "None" not NA. Get your facts right

Last edited by a moderator:
really? i'm surprised. i recently tried to e-file my application on my own. i couldn't skip or write N/A in the family members question. i got stuck and tried going back to previous sections to see if there was a direct question on whether you are single or married and i thought i accidentally selected married and that maybe the reason why i couldn't skip the family member section. i finally gave up. The next day i called uscis and told the uscis lady about my e-filing problems. She couldn't help me and just recommended to me that i should do the paper-based application instead. i mailed my I-140application on Jan. 14 and got received and notice dates on Jan. 16. that was a less trouble indeed!

i learned something from the e-file that answered some minor problems in filling out my actual hard copy of I-140. i initially thought that i should just skip the IRS Tax # because i always thought it's the same as the social security no. well, while working on the e-file i discovered that it gave a red flag when i left the IRS field blank. it said: without providing the IRS Tax #, it will delay your application. i finally found out that the IRS Tax # is the same as your employer tax no. for those who don't have a lawyer, this is a good info.

Where did you get this information. I was not married when my lawyer filed my I-140 electronically.

DO we have to provide employer tax number? That I didnt know either! I thought for NIW or EB1-EA no employer information was required. Mizzou - you filed NIW? Why did employer information necessary?

Also, Mizzou - I think you should write NONE in teh field as per Lakksh reply.