• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Educational problem

Esraa

Hello there, iam from Egypt and in my country there is two types of education after elementary school first one called general which be 3 years of studying and I think that equal high school and the second one equal secondary technical school which equal 5 years of education
Now I finished that 5 years of education ( agricultural) and my total educational years = 14 years !! Now when I will apply for lottery what should I select!! High school or vocational school !!! And if I choosed vocational school they said the application won't be selected!! Is this true ?!

Does your high school education allow you, by itself, to gain entrance to an (academic) university?That is the standard by which DV is judged. If not and it is vocational, then it does not qualify for DV purposes. If your education does not fulfil the criteria, you can if eligible use work experience as an alternative, but you have to meet strict criteria for this as well (it is not just any work experience - read the entry form carefully to see if you’d qualify).

By the way, entries are not disqualified based on the information entered into them. Any submitted entry can be selected. Whether or not a selected entrant meets the criteria for the lottery is decided at interview.

By the way, you are aware that entries will only ooen sometime in October, right? If you’re filling in a form now, it’s not official.

as you don’t seem to have read the instructions yet, find the relevant explanations from the FAQ section of the last year instructions below.

5. What are the requirements for education or work experience?
U.S. immigration law and regulations require that every DV entrant must have at least a high school education or its equivalent or have two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience. A “high school education or equivalent” is defined as successful completion of a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States OR the successful completion in another country of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to a high school education in the United States. Only formal courses of study meet this requirement; correspondence programs or equivalency certificates (such as the General Equivalency Diploma G.E.D.) are not acceptable. You must present documentary proof of education or work experience to the consular officer at the time of the visa interview.
If you do not meet the requirements for education or work experience you will be ineligible for a DV, and your spouse and children will be ineligible for derivative DVs.

6. What occupations qualify for the DV program?
The Department of State will use the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) O*Net OnLine database to determine qualifying work experience. The O*Net OnLine database categorizes job experience into five “job zones.” While the DOL website lists many occupations, not all occupations qualify for the DV program. To qualify for a DV on the basis of your work experience, you must have, within the past five years, two years of experience in an occupation classified in a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) range of 7.0 or higher.
If you do not meet the requirements for education or work experience you will be ineligible for a DV, and your spouse and children will be ineligible for derivative DVs.

7. How can I find the qualifying DV occupations in the Department of Labor’s O*Net OnLine database?
When you are in O*Net OnLine, follow these steps to determine if your occupation qualifies:
1. Under “Find Occupations” select “Job Family” from the pull down menu;
2. Browse by “Job Family,” make your selection, and click “GO;”
3. Click on the link for your specific occupation; and
4. Select the tab “Job Zone” to find the designated Job Zone number and Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) rating range.
As an example, select Aerospace Engineers. At the bottom of the Summary Report for Aerospace Engineers, under the Job Zone section, you will find the designated Job Zone 4, SVP Range, 7.0 to < 8.0. Using this example, Aerospace Engineering is a qualifying occupation.
For additional information, see the Diversity Visa – List of Occupations webpage.

First of all thank you and yes I know it is on October, and my problem is that I finished 14 years of official education not only 12 years but I can't choose university degree because it is not a university degree !! So if I choosed high school will they think Iam lieing if I won ?!

No they wouldn’t think you’re lying if you select HS. And if selected, the number of years 12 or 14 wouldn’t matter as long as you can demonstrate your HS completion Diploma can be used for a college (university) admission.

First of all thank you and yes I know it is on October, and my problem is that I finished 14 years of official education not only 12 years but I can't choose university degree because it is not a university degree !! So if I choosed high school will they think Iam lieing if I won ?!
I know youve done 14 years but it’s not actually clear to me from what you’ve said whether your high school diploma qualifies, as you did not answer the question I asked.

Does your high school education allow you, by itself, to gain entrance to an (academic) university?

The number of years is a minimum, it doesn’t guarantee that the education is of the correct type.

They don’t decide if you’re “lying” if you are selected based on the number of years you spent in school, they will examine your high school diploma to see if it qualifies.

Last edited:
The question of Does your high school education allow you, by itself, to gain entrance to an (academic) university?That is the standard by which DV is judged
My answer is yes I would be in a university if I got a certain degree at this school let's say for example 70% of all my exams then I will join a university also at a second grade in it not even first grade but unfortunately I didn't achieve the degree so I couldn't join it

I know youve done 14 years but it’s not actually clear to me from what you’ve said whether your high school diploma qualifies, as you did not answer the question I asked.

The number of years is a minimum, it doesn’t guarantee that the education is of the correct type.

They don’t decide if you’re “lying” if you are selected based on the number of years you spent in school, they will examine your high school diploma to see if it qualifies.
And iam so sorry but I didn't get the meaning of examine my high school diploma ?! And also now Iam very confused that should I choose high school or vocational

The question of Does your high school education allow you, by itself, to gain entrance to an (academic) university?That is the standard by which DV is judged
My answer is yes I would be in a university if I got a certain degree at this school let's say for example 70% of all my exams then I will join a university also at a second grade in it not even first grade but unfortunately I didn't achieve the degree so I couldn't join it
The question is not what would have happened with a certain degree from the same school, the question is what did you get? It sounds like a no.

And also now Iam very confused that should I choose high school or vocational
From what you’ve said, I don’t know.

No they wouldn’t think you’re lying if you select HS. And if selected, the number of years 12 or 14 wouldn’t matter as long as you can demonstrate your HS completion Diploma can be used for a college (university) admission.
Yes I could use it for college of If I achieved a certain amount of degree in it let's say for example if I got 70% in my exams I can join a university at second grade not even first grade but unfortunately I didn't achieve that percentage so I didn't join

And iam so sorry but I didn't get the meaning of examine my high school diploma ?!
It means they will look at your diploma go see if it meets the requirements for Dv. They will understand how the Egyptian system works and whether or not what you got, qualifies.

Yes I could use it for college of If I achieved a certain amount of degree in it let's say for example if I got 70% in my exams I can join a university at second grade not even first grade but unfortunately I didn't achieve that percentage so I didn't join
i really feel like I’m going round in circles here.

is the actual answer you mean, “no, I cannot go to university based on my own high school diploma”?

i really feel like I’m going round in circles here.

is the actual answer you mean, “no, I cannot go to university based on my own high school diploma”?
Iam Sorry for making you feel that way but it is the same way at general high school if I didn't get a certain percentage I can't join university! So it is here also no I won't be qualified?!

Honestly, at this point I don’t know what your answers should be or if you qualify and I have no more time to spend on this. I suggest you look for an online forum with past Egyptian winners who can inform you what to put on the entry form and whether your diploma qualifies you for DV.