EB3 to EB2

newgcasp

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, even though i have been reading this forum before but now I registered, This is really good forum and you guys share lot of information.
Thank you all!!!...

I am also affected with the Retrogation, I have a question, I hv filed 140 few months ago and still waiting for approval. I want know if it is in any way possible to convert labor from EB3 to EB2 by refilling labor under PERM and retained the old priority date. Is it possible?

Thanks

newgcasp said:
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, even though i have been reading this forum before but now I registered, This is really good forum and you guys share lot of information.
Thank you all!!!...

I am also affected with the Retrogation, I have a question, I hv filed 140 few months ago and still waiting for approval. I want know if it is in any way possible to convert labor from EB3 to EB2 by refilling labor under PERM and retained the old priority date. Is it possible?

Thanks

u CANT..u can file in perm in Eb3 with the same PD..but if u wnt to file in Eb2...they will give u a whole new PD..

i think it should be possible by getting a getting labor cert approved in eb2 and filing I-140 with the old approved EB3 I-140's pd.

Interesting approach :cool:

But probably not a good idea to try that trick, given our experience, the kind of rule changes that USCIS does all the time, this kind of plan I think would be a little tricky..

rrajendr said:
i think it should be possible by getting a getting labor cert approved in eb2 and filing I-140 with the old approved EB3 I-140's pd.

This will not work if you are trying to do with same employer. One employer cannot offer two jobs (one is EB3 and one is EB2) for one employee. Do not give these kind of advise as it may lead to denial of both I-140 as it may get suspected as fraudalunt cases.

It will be possible, only if any one left a company after I-140 approval and joins another company and he/can retain that old PD, untill the previous company does not revoke I-140.

Disclaimer -- Please don't take my advice but consult a good lawyer.

You have to understand , there are three things in the law, First is the written law, i.e. it is specisfied in black and white, what could happen and what could not, this by defination applies to very limited number of situation in life (one instance is trying ppl less than 18 years as adults, before US Supreme Court passed a law that no one less than 18 years of age can be tried as adult, it became a law that was very black and white, before that the law was there and many state intepreted it differently).

Second is the intent of law. This is where majority of law falls. More so in the immigration arena (as it is hard to make law concerning each and every situation, Congress has better things to do)

Third is by precedence. If something was decided one way depending on the situation, a similar situation would warrant the same decision. Here the loop hole is that no two situation are similar.

So we are back to square 1 with I-140 portability. The intent there was to support AC-21 provision that after 180 days, if a person has filed a 485 he can change companies. The obvious question was, what would happen if that person left and the company withdrew the LC. USCIS I guess came with the option that in that case it would be deamed that the I-140 (if approved) belonged to the applicant and his labor would be processed as such.

Now that's the law and I believe the intent. Now, one can push the envelope and say what if I-140 is filed and approved, it belongs to the applicant. That's true, but it was for people who had more than 180 days of 485 filed and had changed companies. Can someone take advantage of this situation and maybe selectively interpret the law to his advantage, I guess yes, that's what lawyers are for. Will you always succeed, I doubt it. Is the risk worth taking...well I won't I woyuld not loose my PD and strat from scratch, but then everyone situation is different.

Sorry for rumbling..
rgds

Thank you all for sharing the information. i Think i will stick on to my guns with EB3 as there is risk involved by changing to EB2 and keeping the same priority date.