EB2 non-NIW and Medical degree

eeuupp

Registered Users (C)
I am a physician working in research for the past 2 years. I have not done residency yet (I finished med school 3 years ago).

I will get my H1b Visa soon and I would like to apply for GC under the EB2 category (the one of Advance degree professional).

Do you know if my medical degree qualifies as an advance degree? All the info I find say Master and above.

Thanks

What type of medical degree do you have?

It is my understanding that USCIS generally considers the graduation from medical school to be equivalent to a masters or higher (as it is a professional doctorate in the US). I have however heard from a couple of indian colleagues who have the 'MBBS' which is technically a bachelors who where worried about the USCIS treatment of their degree.

How was your medical training structured ?
- Similar to the US or canadian graduate entry
- Similar to most european countries 5-6 year programs
- Similar to the indian MBBS as a 4 year bachelors

doctors and EB2

Yes I think any doctor can apply under EB2 since it is considered as doctorate here and rightly so.

I got mine done that way. But I also had 3 degrees. I am sure you wont have any trouble.

correction on timeline for graduate medicla degree...

hadron said:
How was your medical training structured ?
- Similar to the US or canadian graduate entry
- Similar to most european countries 5-6 year programs
- Similar to the indian MBBS as a 4 year bachelors
a correction for Hadron's info ..

Indian graduate medical degree (MBBS) is 5 1/2 years, not 4 years as you wrote.
:cool:

> Indian graduate medical degree (MBBS) is 5 1/2 years, not 4 years
> as you wrote.

I allways wondered why it is a bachelors (some of the other countries awarding MBBS are 4 years).

7 years

In my country, Peru, we study for 7 years and get two diplomas: A bachellor in Human Medicine and a Title of Surgeon Doctor.

If I apply for the GC trough the EB2 (non NIW but Advance degree type), how long will it take since the beggining? let say I use PERM.

Thanks

Eduardo

Last edited by a moderator:
Credential evaluation!

eeuupp said:
In my country, Peru, we study for 7 years and get two diplomas: A bachellor in Human Medicine and a Title of Surgeon Doctor.

If I apply for the GC trough the EB2 (non NIW but Advance degree type), how long will it take since the beggining? let say I use PERM.

Thanks

Eduardo
You can get a credential evaluation - there are several companies performing them, and they confirm the level of your degree when compared with the US education system. I don't recall the evaluators that my lawyers used - but do a Google search. It should not cost you more than $100-125.

If your PERM is approved, you can file I-140/ I-485 right and would be eligible for the Travel & Job benefits right away! In 6 months, you could change jobs also.

Do contact a lawyer - probably for an initial visit they will charge you an hour's consultation Fees, but you will have more substantive information.

I allways wondered why it is a bachelors (some of the other countries awarding MBBS are 4 years).

Even the British degree is MBBCh - Indian medical education was originally derived from there, but is quite different now. Pakistan follows the British pattern more closely now. The Indian degree may be called a Bachelor's degree - but a Practitioner is trained for independent function after getting the Degree (which is awarded only after a year of Internship training). So it is equivalent to a doctor's training anywhere else in the world. But, you already knew that, hadron!

Last edited by a moderator: