eb2-niw: is my qualifications/background sufficient?

eb2pharmacy

Registered Users (C)
hi all:
this forum has a wealth of information regarding niw, thanks a lot to all for sharing your experiences. I am listing my qualifications and thinking of applying for eb-2 with niw. your valuable suggestions are greatly appreciated.
1) graduated with ph.d. in pharmaceutical sciences in may 2005. research area USE OF POLYMERS IN FORMULATION DEVELOPMENT AND DRUG DELIVERY.
2) got 4 publications as 1st author and 3 more publications as 3rd author.
3) 3 more publications with me being 1 st author are in various stages from submitted to journals to being prepared.
4) had about 14 abstracts from various conferences/meetings.
5) received student travel award for attending an international conference
6) having university gold medal for masters degree from india.
7) joining in a pharmaceutical company as scientist from next month.
I wish to apply for eb2-niw. Anyone with similar background who tried this way, please suggest whether it will workout? Also I am reading in this forum that attorneys are not that useful? anyones comments on that..
thanks a lot
happy newyear to everyone and hope ur dreams(GC??) come true this year

I had a similar background and was approved last month. I graduated with PhD Pharmacology in May 2005 (completed January 05). 5 1st author, 10 coauthor, 8 abtracts presented. Several student awards incl a travel award. I think others will tell you this too; the rec. letters are crucial. I had Ivy league schools, renowned experts in the field, pharm. companies and two letters from Europe. Also, the cover letter is essential for pointing out your accomplishments and making the point of national interest.

I self-prepared and was approved in 2 weeks from Texas Service Center. Maybe someone else might suggest whether you are qualified for EB1-OR since I am guessing you are from India and EB2 is currently retrogressed. If your position is permanent you may stand a chance of EB1 but I am not sure.

Of course you can apply but be well prepared!
I had 20+ years experience, 30+ papers where I am 1st author, 50+ conference talks, maybe 17 letters from 5 countries, one from Nobel prize winner (USA), I am referee for several journals, editor for a book... worked in hot area of health science (disease marker detection) - and still, got denied. Well.. appeal was approved though...

thanks

Hi gopherhound and compass:
thanks for sharing your valuable inputs. Another doubt I have is I dont have any citations ie. my work was not cited by others yet. I read from some sites that case approval is based mainly on rec letters and citations by others in the field. Also doesnt EB1-OR needs to be sponsered by academic institutions only?
thanks
eb2p

It seems you can apply for EB1-OR with a company; below is a link to murthy.com definition and requirements.

http://www.murthy.com/eb1opr.html

I am pretty unfamiliar with the EB1 route so perhaps someone else on this board can help. I think you would have a good chance at NIW though. Let's hope the retrogression gets figured out soon!!

thanks & citations

Hi goperhand:
thanks for the info. Also I found some citations of my work at sciencedirect. One of my first authored article is cited by three review articles. Also another article that is coauthored by me was cited in 3 more publications. I am not sure whether these citations are sufficient enough to convince the case for niw. I will also try for eb1 through my compnay.
eb2p

eb2pharmacy,
In addition to suggestions provided by others, what I would suggest is to focus on how you will justify that your previous work and/or your current job is in national interest. This is a very important aspect of the NIW petition.

As far as your publications go, citations are equally (or more important ?) than the publications. The publications which are still in various stages will not count unless they are accepted for publication at the time of filing the petition.

Your credentials are impressive, it will just depend on how you present your case.

Good luck!

If you found citations on sciencedirect (which is primarily elsevier journals) chances are you actualy have more. Try to get access to science citations index (most research university libraries subscribe) or I think there are some places you can pay a small amount to run the search for you. That is the most comprehensive index of your citations.