Eb1B application approved - Got the plastic !!!!

vandygc

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Finally my journey for GC is completed. It was a smooth sailing. It took 6.2 months for the whole process.

I-140
RD: 08/01/2008
ND: 08/04/2008
AD: 02/09/2009

I-485
RD: 08/01/2008
ND: 08/04/2008
AD: 02/09/2009

Recieved the plastic today. I wish the rest of GC aspirants all the best.

Based on my petition if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Congrats

Congratulations vandygc. I assume you didn't get any RFE. How many years of experience do you have since finishing your Ph.D? Wondering if applicants need 3 yrs of experience beyond Ph.D as some people have got RFE while some didn't.

Thanks.

gc_app07,

I did not get any RFE. I had strong credentials like

1. Senior member of IEEE and AIAA (which requires nomination)
2. Reviewer for 4 journals (reviewed so far 26 peer reviewed journal papers).
3. Session chair for two conferences.
4. 5 Journal publications (all first author).
5. 6 conference papers.
6. 1 Patent
I had 2.5 years experience after my PhD. If you have outstanding work during your graduate program, they count towards the 3 year requirement. I did prove I had outstanding research work with the letters and publications it produced.

blueone,

I applied to the Texas Service Center (TSC).

I had around 15-20 citations. I think thats important, but its more important to recognize your work in the paper or book by explaining your work rather than just referencing your paper.

Also I took letters from the people who cited my work. I never knew them before, some of them were from South Korea, UK etc.

I think you need to show that your work influenced many, thats the bottom line.

Thanks vandygc. I have about 2 yrs of experience post Ph.D. Did you address the 3 yr requirement in the petition or didn't specificially refer to it?

Did you do the GC on your own or did you go through a lawyer. I think the Senior member of IEEE and AIAA and session chair helped you a lot in getting a GC so fast. If you went through a lawyer, can you please let me know which one by email to manoj(underscore)cer(at)yahoo(dot)com

These are my qualifications and I would really appreciate if you can give your opinion to see if I stand a chance in the EB1 category or not. Or what is the best possible route NIW etc. to get Green card.

BE - India Ceramics 2000
MS- USA Materials Science 2002
PhD- USA Materials Science 2006
Post-doc Fellow at University for 6 months
Currently working for the past 2yrs as a post doc at Argonne National Labs in a DOE (Department of Energy) project for energy systems. Working for future energy needs kind of project.

Have 10 journal papers (5 - first author, 1 - second author, 4 - 3rd author) Since most of the papers are recent ones(in the past 2yrs) there are no citations for it as of now. But my oldest paper has 30citations

Have written two invited book chapters (1- first, 1- second) in 2008-2009.( no citations yet)

Have 1 patent issued, 1 provisional patent issued, 1 patent submitted, and 1 invention disclosure (total of 2 citations for the issued patent)

Numerous first, second and third authored presentations at professional meetings.

Member of couple of professional societies

Have been invited to be a refree for journal papers

Recommendation letters should not be a problem. can get the necessary ones from professors, dept heads, manager and colleagues

Please let me know if you think that i stand any decent chance in the EB1 category and self sponsoring GC.
Thanks
Sulpha

Congrats

Hi Vendy,

I need some information from you that I am planning to apply for GC under EB1.Just I would like to check with you about my credentials.

1. I did Ph.D in India in chemistry in 2002.

2. I have citations around 90.

3. Publications - 16 (8 first author, 6 -2nd author, 2-4th author)

4. My area of work is Nanotechnology in biosensing applications.

5. I reviewed around 10 papers (Biosensors and bioele, other elsevier)

6.Editor of 4 Asian and one American Journal.

Would you pl.comment on my merit whether I can go for EB1 EA or EB2.

Thanks

I do not have long list of citations of publications like some of you and vandygc. I applied for EB-1 and it was denied in less than three months with not RFE or any other warning.
I reapplied and this time it got approved with no RFE.
I have read it zillion times on this forum that these petitions are more word games than anything and the fate is in hands of officer who is reading. There are few who genuinely qualify for EB-1 ; having said that, i know of people with more than 100 first author publications, thousands of citations and other criteria get denial saying 'you are not quite there yet'.
I encourage all to apply.