EB1-EA - Seeking your advice

topgun8532

Hi All,

First of all, let me start by thanking all the members for sharing such a wealth of information on this portal. I have been putting together my application the last few weeks, and this forum has proved to be most valuable, especially the posts by civ2ru, since our backgrounds are very similar.

In this post, I am hoping to briefly present my credentials, and seek the feedback of members who are already experienced with the process. I have decided to self-file, hence any help and inputs from the community would be a great help!

I am a film and classical dance artist from India. I have played lead role in 3 commercial films in my country, and have anchored several talk shows on various channels on television. I have also rendered live classical and cinematic dance performances all over the world during the past 10 years. I was on the jury panel for one of the top film awards (equivalent to the oscars) in my country in 2005. I am currently on H4 (my spouse is on H1B), and am hoping to apply for GC, so that i can continue my career here in the US.

Following are the categories I am planning on claiming:

3. Published material about the alien in professional or major trade publications or other major media

I can show:

-About 25-30 newspaper clippings about me and my work in various newspapers (regional and national) from my native country
-About 25-30 magazines containing interviews, writeups etc about me, and other print (e.g. my movie posters).
-Videos of interviews and invited appearances on television channels
-internet webpages (about 20-25 of them)

4. Evidence that the alien has judged the work of others, either individually or on a panel
I was on the jury of a premier film award in my country in 2005, in the language category that I have done my films and other work in (there are 17 official languages in India, and about as many film industries). I have obtained a letter from the editor of the magazine that conducts the film awards, stating how they only seek ppl at the top of their field to be jury and that is the reason they chose me.

7. Evidence that the alien's work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases

Here, I can show:

-live dance performance videos
-Rendered classical dance at various places of worship in my country (i can show videos of my performances for these)
-rendered film and classical dance in various countries, mostly during specific community events in specific communities in these countries ( i can show internet websites and newspaper articles reporting my performances in some of these events)
- My films were showcased in various film festivals in several countries including my home country. I can show magazine writeups about these for London.

8. Performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations;

- 3 Movies for prestigious banners & directors
I have obtained a support letter from the producer of one of my movies, who is one of the top figures in the film industry in my region in my country.
I also have DVDs of all 3 movies (which are not in english)
- Anchor of a popular programme on a leading indian channel broadcast worldwide
I have obtained a support letter from the director of the programme stating how my role played in the programme's success, and can also provide videos of the several episodes of the programme
-I can show videos of anchoring of major events done by me (product launches, film awards, television channel anniversaries etc)

9. Evidence of commercial successes in the performing arts.
For this, I can show the following:
-some websites selling my movies
-letter from the producer of one of my movies saying the movie was a commercial success
-Several product endorsements by me on television and print media
-articles, photographs, etc about product/services inaugrations
-Snapshots of posters displaying my product endorsements in public places in my country

That's about it!

The areas that I seek advice are as follows:

1. What are your general thoughts about my qualifications for EB1-EA, and the categories that I am trying to claim?

2. Most of the publications about me are in non-english media (since my work is in a non-english language). Am I required to translate all these articles into english (this can be a significant effort)?

3. Since my films, TV programmes are all in a non-english language, how do I provide english translations? (I'm trying to find DVDs with english subtitles but haven't found so far). Also, what kind of certification is required for the translation? Can I get it translated in my country and certified, or does it have to be done here in the US?

4. In my field, there is no employer, rather, we work on projects with different production houses,television channels etc, mostly on a freelance basis. How do I show my intent to continue working in my field (since there are no offer letters) ?

5. How do I show that US will benefit from my work, other than enriching the cultural diversity? Perhaps civ2ru, tipotodo and Pradeep might be able to comment on this part, since our backgrounds are similar?

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Topgun

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask tipotodo

Hi topgun
Tiupotodo, a member in this forum is also a dancer and got the approval. Check with him/her to find answers to your query.

Hi Moden,

Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to have tipotodo's, civ2ru's, pradeep's (and others') views on my case! Hope your response to your RFE went well.

Topgun

First off, I have to make a disclaimer that I AM NO EXPERT. Besides, my field of work is music, so we're not exactly in the same boat. However, an opinion was requested, so here I go.

1. What are your general thoughts about my qualifications for EB1-EA, and the categories that I am trying to claim?

If I had to suggest one thing, that would be including some evidence of international recognition of you and your work, in addition to national recognition in your country. That could help illustrate that you have risen to the top of your field.

2. Most of the publications about me are in non-english media (since my work is in a non-english language). Am I required to translate all these articles into english (this can be a significant effort)?

I would think that you'd have to translate at least some of the publications. You can't expect adjudicators to be multilingual, or to simply take your word for it. Try to make it as easy as possible for them to navigate through your case. After all, they just want to get it over with and go home, like the rest of us.

3. Since my films, TV programmes are all in a non-english language, how do I provide english translations? (I'm trying to find DVDs with english subtitles but haven't found so far). Also, what kind of certification is required for the translation? Can I get it translated in my country and certified, or does it have to be done here in the US?

If you can't translate the films / TV shows, then try to present articles or other evidence in English that discuss (better yet, praise) these films / TV shows of yours. As far as certification - you can get the articles translated in your country, but for certification here you'd need someone fluent in both English and your native language sign a simple form in front of a notary. The form can be found at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD.

4. In my field, there is no employer, rather, we work on projects with different production houses,television channels etc, mostly on a freelance basis. How do I show my intent to continue working in my field (since there are no offer letters) ?

I suppose you could just provide a written statement as to how you plan to continue your work, but it would be better to include copies of pre-arranged commitments or contracts in regards to your work. They don't need to be employment contracts per se.

5. How do I show that US will benefit from my work, other than enriching the cultural diversity?

The best way would be through recommendation letters (a.k.a. letters of endorsement). Where experts in your field distinguish your work (in English) and voice their confidence that US would greatly benefit from having an alien of such extraordinary ability around. These letters (if written correctly), along with demonstration of fruits of your labor, could also help illustrate Criterion 5 - Evidence of the alien's original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field - which, for some reason, you're not going after?

I hope this helps. Another resource you might find helpful is Adjudicator’s Field Manual (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/afm_ch22_091206R.pdf) - at pages 30-41 it talks about EB-1 EA classification. As always, if in doubt - please seek professional advice. Good luck to you! :)

Last edited by a moderator: