EB1-EA my checklist and questions

kumarbr2000

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to file (self petition) my I-140 under EA by the end of Sept 2006.

My background: I hold a Ph.D. in theoretical biophysics from a big ten university in the Midwest, and have 3 years of posdoc experience, and currently a researcher at a big pharma on the east coast USA. All my research during and after my Ph.D. are related, and I have 7 publications (6 as first author). Prior to that I worked on a research topic related to solid state physics, and have about 10 journal articles from that work (3 as first author).

This is what I am planning to put together, in the order described below, and I would appreciate your comments on this.

• cover letter
• check $195
• I-140
• Degrees (Ph.D., Masters, and Bachelors)
• Affidavit that I will continue to work in my field
• Reference letters
a. Thesis supervisor (full professor @ university A (big ten) in Midwest)
b. Thesis committee member (full professor @ university A (big ten) in Midwest)
c. Thesis committee member (full professor @ a university A (big ten) in Midwest)
d. Posdoc supervisor (assistant professor at a medical school on the east coast)
e. Current supervisor (Ph.D. and Senior Director at the Big Pharma on eastcoast)
f. Independent expert 1 (full professor @ University of California; does not know me personally, have met only once)
g. Collaborator 1 (full professor @ university B (big ten) in Midwest)
h. Collaborator 2 (staff scientist @ a US national lab)
i. Collaborator 3 (staff scientist and group leader @ a US national lab)
j. Collaborator 4 (full professor @ university on the east coast)
k. Independent expert 2 (assistant professor @ university C (big ten) in Midwest; never met, no personal acquaintance)
l. Independent expert 3 (full professor @ a top university in England; never met, no personal acquaintance)
m. Independent expert 4 (full professor @ a university in Singapore; never met, no personal acquaintance)
n. Independent expert 5 (assistant professor @ a medical school on east coast; never met, no personal acquaintance)
• Publications:
a. Biophysics (current research field): Journal articles (6 first author); 1 review article (second author)
b. Solid State Physics (previous research field): Journal articles (3 as first author, 7 as 2nd or 3rd author)
• Citations:
a. Close to 40 in the current field
b. Over 50 in the previous field
• Awards
a. CSIR junior research fellowship from India
b. Award for outstanding research as graduate student (highest award in the department)
• Referee: I have not refereed any journal article formally, but one of my reference letter mentions the fact that I have reviewed (on his behalf) several papers that were sent to him by the journal.
• Membership: New York Academy of Sciences, International Society of Computational Biology, American Chemical Society, member of the user group at a national lab. However, none of these require outstanding achievement as criteria for membership. So, I am not sure how much weight the immigration officer would give to these.
• Other Evidence for EA:
a. Invited speaker at a symposium organized by a reputed research lab.
b. Half-dozen conference proceeding (mostly oral presentations)
c. Letters showing that I have about 10 years of research/teaching experience.

Here are some questions that I have, and I would be grateful for your comments.
• Is there any other evidence I can provide to support my application?
• Should I change the order of the presentation (i.e. first put awards then reference letters etc.) to make the application more effective?
• Since I have worked on two different research topics, should I include my publications from my previous research on solid state physics? Will I need to explain why I changed my research topic, even though it was about 10 years ago?

Thanks in advance.

Get you supervisor write a paragraph about it in his/her reference letter. Then you should quote it in the cover letter. At least that's what I am doing. Your supervisor's letter should say that "CSIR fellowship is awarded to students that rank very high, generally among top 1%, in the national level exam conducted by the CSIR...etc."

I do not know for sure if immigration considers this fellowship at all, but it is just another evidence of you exceptional abilities.

Beef up cover letter

kumarbr2000 said:
I am planning to file (self petition) my I-140 under EA by the end of Sept 2006.

My background: I hold a Ph.D. in theoretical biophysics from a big ten university in the Midwest, and have 3 years of posdoc experience, and currently a researcher at a big pharma on the east coast USA. All my research during and after my Ph.D. are related, and I have 7 publications (6 as first author). Prior to that I worked on a research topic related to solid state physics, and have about 10 journal articles from that work (3 as first author).

This is what I am planning to put together, in the order described below, and I would appreciate your comments on this.

• cover letter

Rest all is fine. Don't forget to mention which three EB1-EA criteria you are aiming to meet. see a suggested coverletter format by Civ2ru in another thread (http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=224125). Otherwise, you will get a RFE like most others (http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=224641). I guess the USCIS wants you to lay out stuff clearly rather than they figure it out based on your qualifications.
• check $195
• I-140
• Degrees (Ph.D., Masters, and Bachelors)
• Affidavit that I will continue to work in my field
• Reference letters
a. Thesis supervisor (full professor @ university A (big ten) in Midwest)
b. Thesis committee member (full professor @ university A (big ten) in Midwest)
c. Thesis committee member (full professor @ a university A (big ten) in Midwest)
d. Posdoc supervisor (assistant professor at a medical school on the east coast)
e. Current supervisor (Ph.D. and Senior Director at the Big Pharma on eastcoast)
f. Independent expert 1 (full professor @ University of California; does not know me personally, have met only once)
g. Collaborator 1 (full professor @ university B (big ten) in Midwest)
h. Collaborator 2 (staff scientist @ a US national lab)
i. Collaborator 3 (staff scientist and group leader @ a US national lab)
j. Collaborator 4 (full professor @ university on the east coast)
k. Independent expert 2 (assistant professor @ university C (big ten) in Midwest; never met, no personal acquaintance)
l. Independent expert 3 (full professor @ a top university in England; never met, no personal acquaintance)
m. Independent expert 4 (full professor @ a university in Singapore; never met, no personal acquaintance)
n. Independent expert 5 (assistant professor @ a medical school on east coast; never met, no personal acquaintance)
• Publications:
a. Biophysics (current research field): Journal articles (6 first author); 1 review article (second author)
b. Solid State Physics (previous research field): Journal articles (3 as first author, 7 as 2nd or 3rd author)
• Citations:
a. Close to 40 in the current field
b. Over 50 in the previous field
• Awards
a. CSIR junior research fellowship from India
b. Award for outstanding research as graduate student (highest award in the department)
• Referee: I have not refereed any journal article formally, but one of my reference letter mentions the fact that I have reviewed (on his behalf) several papers that were sent to him by the journal.
• Membership: New York Academy of Sciences, International Society of Computational Biology, American Chemical Society, member of the user group at a national lab. However, none of these require outstanding achievement as criteria for membership. So, I am not sure how much weight the immigration officer would give to these.
• Other Evidence for EA:
a. Invited speaker at a symposium organized by a reputed research lab.
b. Half-dozen conference proceeding (mostly oral presentations)
c. Letters showing that I have about 10 years of research/teaching experience.

Here are some questions that I have, and I would be grateful for your comments.
• Is there any other evidence I can provide to support my application?
See my comments on cover letter above. You MUST address three EB1-EA criteria you are aiming for.
• Should I change the order of the presentation (i.e. first put awards then reference letters etc.) to make the application more effective?
• Since I have worked on two different research topics, should I include my publications from my previous research on solid state physics? Will I need to explain why I changed my research topic, even though it was about 10 years ago?

Do you think anyone will know that you have changed your area of research? You can always make a case how your general area of research is very broad and its applications are in a variety of fields/sciences.

Thanks in advance.

These are just my two cents. I have not done EB1-EA, although in process of doing it, I have an approved NIW petition.

EB1_OPR I-140 approved, is there a need for filing EA1a?

My I-140 is approved for outstanding professor/reseracher category. My lawyer is telling me to apply for I-140 for EA1a and NIW categories to protect in case so thing happens my current job? Is there anty need? cann't make use of AC21 after 180 days of I-485 filing?

sbhat2000 said:
My I-140 is approved for outstanding professor/reseracher category. My lawyer is telling me to apply for I-140 for EA1a and NIW categories to protect in case so thing happens my current job? Is there anty need? cann't make use of AC21 after 180 days of I-485 filing?

Ur Lawyer is just over cautious!
you can file those even after u loose jobs!!