EB1-EA Category

In my opinion its virually impossible to get a favorable EB1 adjucation without either PhD, MD or MDPhD degrees.

ScionF,
I urge you to read the EB-1EA article that is a sticky above VERY carefully, preferably MANY times.

Advanced degrees are not a prerequisute for EB1 or NIW. I have heard of plenty of MS people getting EB-1OR and NIW.

tony403 said:
ScionF,
I urge you to read the EB-1EA article that is a sticky above VERY carefully, preferably MANY times.

Advanced degrees are not a prerequisute for EB1 or NIW. I have heard of plenty of MS people getting EB-1OR and NIW.

Without Ph.D, I never heard someone got it through EB1 OR! These days, even with Ph.D, many yrs of pst-doc, permanent job and all that, become difficult to get it through EB1 OR.

Tony, In my humble opinion it will be a lot easier to obtain a favorable NIW decision with a masters degree. EB1 however is a different animal. It will be very difficult for an individual without a doctoral or clinical degree to

1. Get a faculty or permanent appointment at a US degree granting or research institution, hence EB1-OR is out of question.

2. Get the kind of citation impact, publication record, funding or expertise as a reviewer required for EB1-EA.

nikkasingh said:
Tony, In my humble opinion it will be a lot easier to obtain a favorable NIW decision with a masters degree. EB1 however is a different animal. It will be very difficult for an individual without a doctoral or clinical degree to

I am not saying that EB-1 is easy for a person without a Ph.D. I do think that it is possible, at least for OR.

1. Get a faculty or permanent appointment at a US degree granting or research institution, hence EB1-OR is out of question.
Given that a lot of research is done in industry, how about master's level people with permanent positions in industry? When I was applying for EB-1OR, I did a pretty thorough web search, and several lawyers web sites indicated that industrial BS/MS people were successful with EB-1OR. I also personally know of two sucessful cases.

2. Get the kind of citation impact, publication record, funding or expertise as a reviewer required for EB1-EA.
I agree. However, there is no stipulation that an advanced degree is required.

What is absolutely necessary for EB1 and NIW is to satisfy certain criteria. Just because someone has a Ph.D. or MD does not automatically make them eligibile for these categories. However, the path to such an advanced degree does confer some of the required eligibility by the very nature of the exercises required (publishing etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
nikkasingh said:
Dear Tony

Game set and Match. I agree with your summarization.

The reason that I came out strongly on this issue is that I don't want people without Ph.D.'s to think that they will not qualify for EB-1OR or NIW (maybe even EB-1EA under exceptional circumstances). Each case is unique, and things depend on overall qualifications and on how the case is presented.

I was reading your posts and would agree that EB1-EA doesn't require an advanced degree. It requires satisfying certain criteria which you could satisfy with or without an advanced degree.

I was able to get my EA approved earlier this year without a PhD (although I am a part-time PhD candidate at this time, but I barely finished my Masters when I applied my I-140 back in 2003 and didn't even mention that I was planning to go for a PhD). There are some criteria where a PhD (work towards PhD) might help, like publications, reviewing others work etc. And there are other criteria where a degree is not relevant at all. I was able to staisfy the following three criteria without including anything based on education:

- National awards
- Printed material about my work in mass media
- Leading / critical role in organizations that has gained international acclaim

If your credentials are strong enough, you could do the same

I could imagine that most of the extraordinary athletes, actors/actresses, artists etc who apply for EB1 don't carry an advanced degree. This should apply to some other professions as well. The key is to show that the beneficiary has sustained national or international acclaim, and that he/she has risen to the very top of his/her field of endeavor