EB1-EA I-140 just approved @ TSC

SRC-03-135-XXXXX

ND: 4/14/2003
NO RFE
AD: 11/06/2003

Background:

Top 20 University PhD in Engr
2 year experience @ a Fortune 500
3 publications (no citation as they are in press)
10 conference presentations
Reviewer for 1 journal

Petition filed by myself.

Good luck to you all.

-Brian

Amazing! First, let me congratulate you!! But, your approval is amazing on two counts. First, TSC is still processing up to 11/20/2002, but your ND is 4/14/2003. I suspect that you filed concurrently. Second, your qualifications must definitely be higher than what you posted. Can you provide more details on both counts?

Congratulations!
Regarding the rank/reputation of PhD school, how important is it in the application for EB1-EA, EB1-OR and NIW?

I doubt if it is of much relevance! It is the petitioner's professional achievements, including recognition by other experts in the field, that count most.

Originally posted by Ryanlin

Congratulation!
I also agree with topew that you must have some other qualifacations, for example award(s), membership(s), critical role or high salary.

Top 20 University PhD in Engr
There might have some influence but does not fulfill any criteria.

2 year experience @ a Fortune 500
For EB1-EA experience is not a requirement.

3 publications (no citation as they are in press)
Hard to prove as scholarly articles since they are yet to be published.

10 conference presentations
You might meet the criteria of "major contribution in your field" if you have very strong recommendation.

Reviewer for 1 journal
You might meet this.

Still you need to satisfy another one!

Your details will help other who are in the same boat.

I did not file I-485 at the same time of I-140 filing. Instead, I filed it (with EAD, AP) for myself and my wife in July 2003 (still concurrent by definition). So, my hypothesis is that they were reviewing my EAD and AP applications. However, to prevent frivolous filings, they also looked at my I-140 petition to make sure there are at least some merits in my case. I guess I was lucky and they approved it right away instead of returning my I-140 to the queue.

On another note, I do not think the rank of university matters much. Honestly, I consider my background weaker than many people who post in this forum. I don't have many publications (I showed them the acceptance letters/emails from the journals), let alone citations. My two memberships are those anyone can enroll as long as they pay the annual fee. None of my references is famous. Three of them (including my advisor, an assistant prof) are professors from my university, two are associate professors in average universities, and one is my boss (Ph.D.) in the company. I am thankful that they did put out some strong words for me and I made those words very clear in my statement. So, I think the key is presentation of your case. The package should be organized in such a way that make people can easily see you "extraordinary abilities" rather than looking for them.

Hope this helps.

-Brian

Also, yes, I did argue "original scientific contributions," "critical role," and "high salary" (although I honestly don't think it's high at all). My thought was to match as many criteria as possible. That will still give you some leeway in the case they debunk some of them.

-Brian

I admire your humility. Your approval should also be comforting to other petitioners on this forum.

LUCK

You could have all the credentials in the world, but if LUCK is not on your side, then it doesn't really matter. The above case especially with publications in press with 0 citations, to me is equivalent to winning the lottery!

Re: LUCK

Originally posted by havefaith
You could have all the credentials in the world, but if LUCK is not on your side, then it doesn't really matter. The above case especially with publications in press with 0 citations, to me is equivalent to winning the lottery!

There is no luck involved. This is a legal matter. Either you qualify or you don't. Granted, there is some subjectivity involved. It's like judging in figure skating. People sometimes get screwed over or are given some leeway, but you still have to avoid falling on your ass.

Brian

Package submitted

Hi Ryanlin: How long was the statement you wrote?
Did you use one of those do it yourself kits?
I am kind of lost on this, my case is also with the TSC.
Thanks

My statement was 10 page long (including a list of supporting documents and brief explanation of each of them). I kind of borrowed the statement structure from one of the do-it-yourself kits, but came up with my own contents and sentences.

-Brian

follow up

Hi Ryanlin:
Would it be too much to ask you what kind of "do it yourself kit" you used?
I've been searching over the internet but I am not sure wich one to get.
I appreciate your help

I don't have the name of the package since I purchased it from a private part. There is one cover letter (statement) by Kevin Yong, Ph.D, GE R&D Center (not sure if this guy trully exists). In addition, there are 6 reference letters, two for medical, two for engineering, and two for IT.

Also, I think it's useful to strictly follow the guidelines for assembling the documents (USCIS posted this on their website).

-Brian

thanks

Hey thanks!.
Do you know where in the USCIS website are posted the guidelines for assembling the documents?

Congrats

It's amazing. Do you have any information regarding which regional office has the highest approval rate? I am in Oregan, but I am considering to file my case somewhere else.

The following is my basic qualifications, welcome anyone to comment on my oppotunity.
. Working in leading tech companies for 4 years
. 8 journal publications. 18 conference papers.
. 7 citations for one first author paper.
. Committee member for an international conference
. Review several papers for two journals
. 6 recommendations letters.