EB1-EA approved at CSC (ND Feb 2, 2001)

hsc

Registered Users (C)
According to automated system, my self-petitioned EB1-EA has been approved at CSC.

Category: EB1-EA (self-petition)
RD: Jan 22, 2001
ND: Feb 2, 2001
WAC-01-094-51xxx
PD: Current (not China/India)
No RFE, did not use lawyer

Here is my background:
PhD (1997) from top-20 US university in EE
2-yr experience at a famous corporate research lab
Currently working for small company in Silicon Valley
Area of research is communications
2 IEEE journal publications
8 international conferences (most of them IEEE)
3 book chapters
12 citations
No major awards/prizes
5 letters (all from people I personally know, 3 from US, 2 from Europe)

Good luck

No Title

Hi, When you refer to \'citations\' do you mean the references made to your papers in other papers? Please clarify
Thanks!

No Title

Hi HSC,
Would you please tell me some information about your lawyer who worked on your case or you can recommend a lawyer who is good at handling national interest waiver or outstanding research? I am working in a small company in silicon valley and have a hard time to find a good lawyer. Your help will be very much appreciated. JIC

No Title

Hi,

As I noted in my original message, I DID NOT use a lawyer. I gathered all the information and organized it myself to make my case. I think the most important thing is to explicitly explain item-by-item how you satisfy their criteria for EB1-EA (there are 10 of them, you need to satisfy 3+). They don\'t want a long general essay saying how outstanding you are.

I don\'t know who is/isn\'t a good lawyer in case you want to hire one.

Good luck
hsc

No Title

Hi HSC,

I\'m seeking your advice. Form your background, I could only see you well satisfy two criteria: contributions of major significance to the field and authorship of scholarly articles in professional publications. But you should have to emphasis third one to qualify EB1-EA.

Thanks in advance.

No Title

Hi HongZ,

I didn\'t mean my original list of credentials to be exhaustive. I actually claimed satisfying 5 of their criteria.

1. Contributions of major significance to the field
2. Authorship of scholarly articles
3. Membership in organization (I am a member of Sigma Xi. All you need to become a member is get a recommendation from a current member. My advisor recommended me, at my request)

4. I was judge/referee of others work in field (I reviewed several journal/conference papaers)

5. This one was a bit iffy (I guess the INS officer bought it!), but I claimed I played a leading role in the activities of a major organization. I sort of led a (small) part of a big project while employed at the "famous" corporate research lab.

hsc

No Title

Hi HSC,

I am also in the field of communications (Optical Communications) although not a Ph. D. (and hence my chances are very very dim for EB-1 EA) but still might wish to try my "luck" some day.

Can you name me any other professional society like Sigma Xi except IEEE and SPIE/OSA ? I found several names but most of them are for top performing college students. I am not a student but a researcher at a federal government organization.

Thank you.

Jigesh

No Title

Hi,

Just wondering two things
1. Contributions of major significance to the field
How to understand this? I have a Ph.D. Can my ph.d. thsis be claimed as a contribution to the field.
2. Membership in organization
I have a membership in IEEE. But everyone can be a member as long as you pay the membership fee. Does my membership in IEEE qualify?

Thanks.