EB1 application, where to start

ssa27

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
I am currently on J1 visa and would like to start my process of greencard application but i dont know where and how to begin. I am a research scholar and have 12 international publications with 60citations and a couple of awards. I also had my independent postdoctoral funding when i came to the US. do i stand a chance. how do i begin the process.
please help
thanks

DOwnload form I-140 from www.uscis.gov website and read their requirments for various categories you may fall. Assimilate all evidences they want you to qualify for the best category you fit it. The description you have given below is vague and cant be used to advice you whether you have a chance or not. If you think ur work was in natoinal interest of US then apply in EB-2 NIW category on the other hand if you can justify your career as extraordinay then you should apply for EB-1A. ALso if you can get ur cases sponsored by your univ or insituion you are woking in then EB-1B OR is best for you. FInally if you fall in retrogressed country list then only EB-1 EOA or OR will only work for you. Provide more details and analyse ur worl and career. Havin more publictaion or more citations may not work, on the contrary having even publication which justifies your category may work. SO do your DD before u ask this.
Hi everyone,
I am currently on J1 visa and would like to start my process of greencard application but i dont know where and how to begin. I am a research scholar and have 12 international publications with 60citations and a couple of awards. I also had my independent postdoctoral funding when i came to the US. do i stand a chance. how do i begin the process.
please help
thanks

Hi,
I would recommend, if you are subjected to 2 yr HRR, applying for waiver of 2 yr HRR first. Although at I 140 stage you do not need waiver, you cannot file 485 unless you have waiver, if subject to that rule. Otherwise you can file both I 140 & 485 (if not subject to retrogression). Hope this helps.

MGGK

I fully agree with MGGK, that is an important point to take care before you even start thinking of GC stuff.
Hi,
I would recommend, if you are subjected to 2 yr HRR, applying for waiver of 2 yr HRR first. Although at I 140 stage you do not need waiver, you cannot file 485 unless you have waiver, if subject to that rule. Otherwise you can file both I 140 & 485 (if not subject to retrogression). Hope this helps.

MGGK

Start by contacting people who might be able to write you reference letters, also contact sufficient number of independent experts who know you only through your work. Start early on this, because this can take a lot of time.

I think it helps a lot if you know you plan on submitting at some time in the future to start preparing now in small ways. Some things I did:

*Whenever you get a request to review for a journal, graciously accept. But before you hit the "I will do this review" button, contact the editorial office and ask if they wouldn't mind sending you a personal request letter that includes your full name, and a statement like "Because of your expertise in the area of XYZ, we are requesting your services as a reviewer". They are more than happy to do it, and it's just inserting one sentence into boilerplate text. Some people have tried to submit requests that were passed on to them by their supervisors, or that say "dear colleague" or "dear researcher"-- these won't work.

*Start Googling yourself regularly with every version of your name. Not just Google scholar, but regular Google too. I found a few news items in small trade-type publications that I printed out and kept in a file, and then half a year later I could no longer find them on the web (some smaller news publications don't necessarily make news archives available for a long time). Do this every month or so, and you won't miss anything that may mention your work.

*When you are at scientific meetings, don't be shy about asking people who approach you about your work (ie specifically come to your poster or sessions with questions and genuine knowledge of the topic, not the "just passing through" people) if, at a future time, they would be willing to write a brief letter indicating that they sought you out at a scientific meeting because of your work. These can supplement your reference letters;they don't take their place but they are certainly helpful to document your fabulous reputation!

* Look for opportunities to serve as a grant reviewer for institutions/agencies other than your own. Some agencies (e.g. Susan Komen foundation for breast cancer research) have an online process where you can nominate grant reviewers. Have someone nominate you, or in some cases you can nominate yourself.

*The thing that saved me the most time when I was putting my packet together: Print and save EVERYTHING that might possibly be part of your packet now, and keep it in a safe place. Note the date and url (if applicable) of where you got it. Keep subfiles of which category things might be considered for. Start now, and even if you don't apply for a year or two while you get your 2 yr residency stuff sorted out, you will have much less work to do when the time comes.

Good luck!

Thanks alot for the information guys, i will start working on the things now, please keep those comments coming as each one of them will help me. I donot need a J1 visa waiver as i got my J1 from Canada (I am a prermanent resident of canada)
Thanks again for all the help
i will wait for more information from all of you