EB1-A E-Filing Question

triv9986

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am new to this website, infact this is my first message. I have been preparing for EB1-A petition and supporting documents for about 6 months and now I am almost ready to send out the application. It appears that E-Filing is the best option. My question is what is the best way to send the supporting documents? Is there a link that describes the binding procedures so that the officer can easily locate neccesary documents?

Thanks,

Triv

When you e-file, it will generate a receipt notice. That will have all the information clearly stated. The notice will tell you where to send the documents. You are also supposed to send a copy of the 1st page of the notice with your supporting materials, so they will be able to easily locate your file.

A question: are we supposed to keep all the original documents, like recom letters, etc. At least we keep a copy of everything we send out, just in case, we might need to use the documents later for another category. Is that correct?

A question: are we supposed to keep all the original documents, like recom letters, etc. At least we keep a copy of everything we send out, just in case, we might need to use the documents later for another category. Is that correct?

Absolutely. You can use the copies of the letters or the originals. but make sure you keep copies of all of the documents.

Hi,
This is my first post as well. I tried registering two weeks ago and couldnt. I am also thinking of applying (myself) through EB1. Please let me know, if you will be willing to provide some advice on preparing the cover letter. I am assuming that you wrote it yourself. Thanks...

Nightsman,

I prepared coverletter of about 9 pages trying to summarize my CV and letters of support to satisy at least 5 out of their 10 requirements. I think it will vary greatly from person to person, the best thing will be to accumulate as many supporting documents as possible and try to summarize those.

I hope this help,

Good Luck

Triv

Me too. I am struggling at preparing the self-petition letter.
Originally I packed up more than 20 pages citing online information to prove the awards, associations of memberships, the journals, the conferences etc.
Then some people told me it was too much, and I have to get to the points and summarize the evidences for those points in the first two pages (most likely they will read the first two and the last two pages while flip through the middle ones).
I follow this forum and the other forum very carefully, keep an eye on the positive experience and RFEs, try to avoid common RFE questions.
I gave myself another week or so on this letter, while I am waiting for the support letters.

Me too. I am struggling at preparing the self-petition letter.
Originally I packed up more than 20 pages citing online information to prove the awards, associations of memberships, the journals, the conferences etc.
Then some people told me it was too much, and I have to get to the points and summarize the evidences for those points in the first two pages (most likely they will read the first two and the last two pages while flip through the middle ones).
I follow this forum and the other forum very carefully, keep an eye on the positive experience and RFEs, try to avoid common RFE questions.
I gave myself another week or so on this letter, while I am waiting for the support letters.

Our attorney prepared a 34 page letter describing everything in most precise details. I feel that a comprehensive cover letter is a must - that is what they read.

For the NIW I prepared a 12 page letter got a RFE and then again for the responce submitted a 10 page cover letter, and now for EA it is 33 pages, discussing going point by point every catogery possible. Some of the evidences fall in more than one catagory. Added some graphs to show publications and citations of papers year to year. Tried to make it graphic where possible. Even if the officer flips through he/she will stop and look at the graphs. I had a total of 3 graphs. Let's see what happens.

Hope for the best

Thanks, for all of you sharing the invaluable information and experience.
SumeetBabu, I will take your advise, but I will wrap up a getting-to-the-points summary (two pages), then list out and reason detailed evidences for the criteria (six out of ten), then a list of the exhibits, then the closure of the letter.

Some people wrote a personal statement and research plan etc. Do we need those?

(shake my head) too much work. (how can I focus on my job?)

Nightsman,

I prepared coverletter of about 9 pages trying to summarize my CV and letters of support to satisy at least 5 out of their 10 requirements. I think it will vary greatly from person to person, the best thing will be to accumulate as many supporting documents as possible and try to summarize those.

I hope this help,

Good Luck

Triv

Thanks, Triv... Generally how long are the reference letters and what should they mention? Any key words? Should they explicitly mention that they recommend my EB1 petition be approved???

Thanks guys... lotsa valuable info.

My reference letters are about 1.5 - 2pages. It will be useful to send the 10 criteria to the referees to let them know about the letter requirments. My letters do specify about the approval of petition.

Keywords could be like

• "a key/principal/major/critical scientist", "will greatly contribute to.., by......
• "will make original and significant contributions over the long term by......"
• "is one of the few in the field who is able to......."
• "a singular asset"
• "his long-term involvement in....is absolutely essential (necessary) to...."
• "it would be impractical and costly to find or train a scientist of the same qualifications to replace him in the crucial role he is playing"
• "best in the field"; "highly recognized"
• "loss of his involvement will have serious impacts on the research because......"

I hope this helps

Triv

Thanks, for all of you sharing the invaluable information and experience.
SumeetBabu, I will take your advise, but I will wrap up a getting-to-the-points summary (two pages), then list out and reason detailed evidences for the criteria (six out of ten), then a list of the exhibits, then the closure of the letter.

Some people wrote a personal statement and research plan etc. Do we need those?

(shake my head) too much work. (how can I focus on my job?)

My reference letters are about 1.5 - 2pages. It will be useful to send the 10 criteria to the referees to let them know about the letter requirments. My letters do specify about the approval of petition.

Keywords could be like

• "a key/principal/major/critical scientist", "will greatly contribute to.., by......
• "will make original and significant contributions over the long term by......"
• "a singular asset"
• "it would be impractical and costly to find or train a scientist of the same qualifications to replace him in the crucial role he is playing"
• "loss of his involvement will have serious impacts on the research because......"

I hope this helps

Triv

I agree with Triv, there are some key phrases that will make a good refrence letter. The reference letter from my supervisor was 6 pages (it is not the length that matters) he listed my accomplishments, weighed them with his grants and concluded with publications, so thats what made it long. I do not know about personal statements, I think what matters is what others say about you and not yourself. Personal statement may not hold any value. It is like saying "it is my mission in life to feed the poor/cure cancer...." good thought but has it been implemented or have attempts been made showing evidence, if so is it also the goal of an organisation. I think better not to state what you cannot prove. Again EB is employment based

Last edited by a moderator:

Keywords could be like

• "a singular asset"

I hope this helps

Triv

Just one suggestion : Try to avoid using the word "will" from the reco letter for EB1A... this category is for people who already reached at the top few in his field !!

Thanks, triv, for the phrases, thanks, SumeetBabu, for clearing out the personal statement, thanks, pana, for pointing out no "will". They all make sense to me. You guys are excellent analysts. We could together open a law firm after we get our GCs.:)

Thanks Triv for the phrases - similar to what I had in mind. Pana answered one important issue on my mind. This is for people who are established already. So it should be in past tense or present and not 'will' which will be for a upcoming person.

my 2c.

yeah whats the deal with that? Also
1. If self-filing, do you fill in your name and address on both questions 1 and 3?
2. PART 4: question 2: I assume its ALiens foreign permanent address as in passport?
3. For e-Filing how do ou write your name in NATIVE alphabet? I can write it on the form but how do you do it electronically?

Part 5: if it is self, do you mention your occupation and income?

PART 6: what do you write there? it is a self petition: how do you fill that out? Shouldnt it be only for OR category???

nightsman,
1. I put down my name and address for both
2. I put down a foreign address (my cousin's house in Canada)
3. when you go into e-filing, they ask you to write down on a paper and submit that paper with the documents?
Part 5, yes, I mention my occupation and income
Part 6, I got confused too, but I wrote down my current institution's address, and they kept asking me the APt#, and then I was told in this forum that I could put down N/A for the Apt#.

Let me know how it goes with you? When will you e-file?

Thanks, llp1.

1. you may want to recheck that - I think sumeetbabu had that problem because he put down his name on that first question and I believe thats what the forum mentioned should be blank.
2. Also, someone here put down the institution name and their mail was sent to the institue. I dont remember who.

I am not sure when I will e-file. I am just starting to prepare my case. so lets work together to solve each others questions.... two minds on one problem....