Earliest start date when applied for EAD

eb1or_aug05

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

We have applied for EAD and we are waiting to get approval. My question is, on what date is my spouse authorized to work?

- The day the online status changes to "approved"

- The day approval notice arrives (if any)

- The day the card arrives?

I looked at the I9 form and it says "If employees are authorized to work,
but are unable to present the required document(s) within three
business days, they must present a receipt for the application of the
document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s)
within ninety (90) days." From this, I take the meaning that my spouse can show the EAD card within 90 days of her starting the job.

On another note, she also has a social security card that she could show to begin employment after EAD approval. The form I9 somehow seems to accept the SS card as a "document that establishes employment eligibility". But she can't work on SS card alone (i.e. w/o EAD) right?

Thanks!

eb1or_aug05 said:
Hello,

We have applied for EAD and we are waiting to get approval. My question is, on what date is my spouse authorized to work?

- The day the online status changes to "approved"

- The day approval notice arrives (if any)

- The day the card arrives?

I looked at the I9 form and it says "If employees are authorized to work,
but are unable to present the required document(s) within three
business days, they must present a receipt for the application of the
document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s)
within ninety (90) days." From this, I take the meaning that my spouse can show the EAD card within 90 days of her starting the job.

On another note, she also has a social security card that she could show to begin employment after EAD approval. The form I9 somehow seems to accept the SS card as a "document that establishes employment eligibility". But she can't work on SS card alone (i.e. w/o EAD) right?

Thanks!
The day when she gets the actual plastic EAD card in her hands.

Anyways, most employers need a new I-9 filled out within 3 or 5 days of beginning work.

Bottomline -> she needs the EAD card to begin work.

max2k1 said:
The day when she gets the actual plastic EAD card in her hands.

Anyways, most employers need a new I-9 filled out within 3 or 5 days of beginning work.

Bottomline -> she needs the EAD card to begin work.

What is the start date on the card? Is it the day EAD was authorized or the day the cards are mailed?

I know a new I9 is required. But if you look at the I9 carefully, then SS card is considered valid document for employment authorization. She has a SS card. I want to know from which date she is legally authorized to work. From the I9 it seems to be the employee's responsibility to make sure he/she has the authorization to work. In addition, the employer cannot force the employee to show a particular document. The documents to be shown as proof are employee's choice.

Even if SS card is not acceptable, I9 allows you to show proof of application and then show the card within 90 days of signing the I9.

Thanks.

eb1or_aug05 said:
What is the start date on the card? Is it the day EAD was authorized or the day the cards are mailed?
Thanks.
Date on the card (card valid from) = date approved is the date from which person is authorized to work using the card by USCIS.
I-9 is employer headache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stolbovoy said:
Date on the card (card valid from) = date approved is the date from which person is authorized to work using the card by USCIS.
I-9 is employer headache.

Thanks! So I guess the date she gets her EAD approved, she could start working, without the need to wait for the real EAD cards in the mail.