Ead

bkcgey

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My attorney has filed for adjustment of status at the end of May 2001. The EAD application however was not attached. Once I receive the I485 receipt notice, is there a way to go to the local INS office and get a EAD card immediately ? Do I have to wait for \'n\' number of days before I can go to the local INS office ? If so what is this \'n\' ?

Thanks

bkcgey

You can go to local INS any time and get it. Some local offices only issue after 90 days. Check with

Hi bkcgey,

After you receive the I-485 receipt go to the local INS OR SUB-OFFICE for the EAD. You need not wait for \'n\' of days. Call the local INS office & check the timings and Day for issuance of EAD card.

SHIV0513

No Title

My situation was similar to yours. To apply for EAD you need to fill the I765 form in C9 category. You don\'t have to wait for n days. But you will need the I485 receipt when you apply for EAD card. It normally takes 85-100 days to get the EAD. IT IS NOT THAT YOU GO TO INS AND THEY WILL ISSUE THE EAD.

Hi Guys....

I am getting a little confused here. Please clarify once again if possible. I have my I485 receipt notice. I didnot apply for EAD while filing I485, since my H1B extension beyond six years had worked out. Just to be safe, Now I would like to get the EAD so that I can use it in case of an emergency.

The question is Can I go to the local INS office and show them ONLY my I485 receipt notice and walk out with an EAD immediately. People have done this before. Can it be still done or have the rules been changed recently. I stay in Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks

bkcgey

No Title

bkcgey,

Well you are confused because people give opinions out of their experience. You should talk to your attorney.
what I know is that you just can\'t walk into an INS local office
with a I-485 receipt notice and get EAD no matter how many days
have passed since you filed your I-485 (If this were to be possible you can imagine nobody would care to file I-765 at the service center). You need to file I-765 with INS service center and if INS does not process in 90 days, then you can take the receipt notice for I-765 to the local INS office and get an EAD card.
I may be totally wrong .. heck I am not an attorney.

Need original I485 receipt or just a copy of it?

My lawyer got the original receipt and I have a fax copy of it. Should I bring the original receipt when I walk in local INS office? or a fax copy of it is fine?

Thanks.

Check the INS website & look for Field offices in your State(OH). They have given all instructions (do they issue new EAD\'s, On what days, method of fee payment, parking, office timings etc}. Only some local INS offices issue EAD cards with the I-485 receipts. I got my EAD card on Wednesday July 25, at the St.Louis Ins office. My Lawyer received my I-485 receipt (NSC) last Thursday .

EAD @ local INS, mystery solved !!!

Hi Guys and Ladies

Thanks for all your valuable feedback. Like I mentioned before, I had applied for I485 adjustement of status sometime in May end 2001. Yesterday, I received a copy of the receipt notice. I had not applied for the EAD when I filed for I485. The difference between the receipt date and today is around 60 days.

Armed with my passport, I485 receipt notice and a personal check of $100.00, I went to Clevelands local INS office today. I reached the office at around 8:10 AM (they open at 8:00 AM), there were like 20 people ahead of me. After submitting the paperwork( passport, I765 application, copy of I485 receipt notice, personal check for 100 bucks), I was asked to go to another room and wait until my name was called. I was then led to another room where a person took my photograph and within minutes after that handed me a EAD card valid till next year. I was out by 10:00AM. The whole process took less than 2 hours. The people working at the counters were very polite and had happy faces.
In short....YES it is possible to apply and get an EAD through the local INS office on the SAME day with just your I485 receipt notice. You don\'t even have to wait for those 90 days or something. This is possible atleast in Cleveland, Ohio. Others have mentioned that its not so in other local offices.
I agree with shiv0513, the best bet would be to go to INS website (www.ins.gov) and check under local field offices and get all info. It seems unfair that this facility is not available in ALL but only in some local INS offices.
Cool then....

Go TRIBE !!!!

bkcgey