Ead

Jimmykaler

Registered Users (C)
I know that aylees are not required to have a EAD but my works goes strictly by the I-9. Does anyone knows what is the substitute asylees are supposed to use? My social security card says "valid for work with legal documents only". Looking for advice. thanks! Does any one has experience with getting a social security card which says some thing they can accept?

1) You have to request for an unrestricted SSN from a Social Security Administration, which you are entitled to have.
2) Do you have an I-94 which says: Asylum Granted, Employment Authorized, valid until : indefinitely?
You can show this as a proof of your employment eligibility...

karina said:
1) You have to request for an unrestricted SSN from a Social Security Administration, which you are entitled to have.
2) Do you have an I-94 which says: Asylum Granted, Employment Authorized, valid until : indefinitely?
You can show this as a proof of your employment eligibility...

Karina, whats a right way to get unrestricted SS. Should I send apllication by mail or go to the office?

Go to Social Security administration with copy of your Asylum approval letter, copy of your old SS card, a state or federal issued ID/RTD and ask for unrestricted SSN. Usually they will send it to you in a week or so.

Legally your employer can not fire you or deny you employment as long as you provide them with copy of your asylum approval, State ID and SSN. If they think you are illegal with all those documents in your hands it is upto them to prove it in the court of law.

In any case I advise getting the unrestricted card from SSA.

Karina, i do have I-94 which says that Asylum granted with expiry date as indefinitely. Is that should be ok?

ss office

Jimmykaler said:
Karina, i do have I-94 which says that Asylum granted with expiry date as indefinitely. Is that should be ok?

Just go to the SS office and it is a very easy process. Double check with them after a 2 weeks if u haven't got one in the mail. Mine got stuck and I had to go back to the office to straigten it out.
It is free instead of a stupid EAD which expires every year. Print out that letter from USCIS/INS which says we do not need an EAD. Show ur employer the letter. I have forgotten the link.

work

you should get a non restricted ssn like most of asylees. If you dont get that you can work unless you have the ead
you can go to ss office an ask for it