EAD - To renew or not?

Snehanjali

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

My 2nd EAD & AP expire in early March, 2004. I did have my 2nd FP done in Dec/2003 and i did meet our attorney to ask about the EAD/AP (3rd) renewal.

He said lets wait and see until February end to see if i've the 485 Approved. (My case is March,2002).

Is there any problem if i apply just before my current EAD expires.. The attorney says i can work as long as the EAD renewal aplication is received at NSC.

Any comments.. Pl. Reply

Thanks,

Of what I know, one needs to have an approved EAD in able to work legally. Merely an application does not allow the person to work. Please check with others on this issue.

titu

Originally posted by Snehanjali
Hi:

My 2nd EAD & AP expire in early March, 2004. I did have my 2nd FP done in Dec/2003 and i did meet our attorney to ask about the EAD/AP (3rd) renewal.

He said lets wait and see until February end to see if i've the 485 Approved. (My case is March,2002).

Is there any problem if i apply just before my current EAD expires.. The attorney says i can work as long as the EAD renewal aplication is received at NSC.

Any comments.. Pl. Reply

Thanks,

It takes 30-60 days to get your EAD approved and you definitely need a card to continue your employment.
My second advice is do not pay extra to your lawyer for the filing of this card. This is something very easy you can do all by yourself.

No Standard Definitions or Rules

Local INS person told to my friend that if one has applied for renewal before the expiry date then he is eligible to work.

So your lawyer is right

According to Sheela Murthy (Attorney): One should have renewed EAD to legally work.

So who is right?

Maybe both!

We all know that the rules are often vague... however, I would err on the safe side if I were you.

You need a valid EAD to work here

not just a form that your application is pending.
If I were you , I would apply for a new EAD on my own , not thru my lawyer. What do you have to lose anyways ? around 100 bucks.

I am in the Same Position

I am a March 02 I-485 RD. I just applied for EAD renewal last week. You cant count on your I-485 to be approved in time.

If your new EAD is not approved by the time your current EAD expires you cannot work. If your EAD is pending for more than 90 days then you can get an interim one from the local BCIS office, however you are already within the 90 day window. My strong recomendation is that you apply for your EAD online today. It is very easy and when I did it for my wife last year it was approved in about 30 days.

My RD is Jan 16 2003

Before I could apply online my lawyer sent me the forms. Now thay claim that the cost of sending forms was $250 and for about $100 more they will complete the applications. When I insisted that I would do it online they replied that they would send back my file and wash their hands off my case.

I am pissed but have to agree to their blackmail. Beware of such tactics by the Attorney.

Snehanjali :
It is better to have EAD in hand. If possible one should apply for renewal just before 90 days of expiry, so as one has a chance to get interim EAD. Hope that your 485 would be approved before EAD renwal.

Rsur:
Defenitely, your attorney is very mean person. Have patience until your 485 is stammped, and then........

I Would Ask Then for A Breakdown of Your Bill

Lawyers charge by the hour or fraction thereof. I would ask them for a breakdown of the $250 charge. What did they do for their $250. If it is more than go to the BCIS website and print out the forms then they may be entited to the money. If not then perhaps you should find a new lawyer

What a waste

For me I am on my 2nd EAD and using it now (Didnt use my first EAD as H1 visa was valid). 2nd EAD will expire in July 04. My company paid attorney wants to start the process of applying for 3rd EAD now. I didnt argue about the timing as the company pays for the expenses. But why do we have to apply so early?

This is such a waste of a process!!!

I understand that filling EAD form is simple and do not need lawyer but how you file EAD online- someone mentioned in this thread.

The detailed breakdown was..

$250 - filling up 765 and 131 for me and spouse. G-28 forms.
$460 - filing fees
$50 - Postage and Misc fees.

The forms were from the BCIS website and get this - I was sent the old 131 form. I had to print out the new one..fill it and let them know that the old one was no longer vaild. To be fair they had sent me the docs in the 3rd week of December.

I will wait for these present apps to be adjudicated and go in for a change.