EAD Timeline: Updated

Hey Ari4u,

I submitted the copy of my birth certificate that my father faxed me from India. He just had the photocopy (not notorized) of the original one, since in India ( In some states) you have to submit the original birth certificate to the school in order to get the admission and in this country the leaving certificate/transfer certificate from school is a very strong document that is considered equivalent to the birth certificate.
Well I was surprised to get the interview call from boston last month, after seeing the forums, and how the people are in trouble for not having their original birth certificate, I decided to call my father and asked him to get the original from the first school I attended. I called the school and they were really kind and helpful to get the file out and keep aside my original birth certificate to hand it over to my father.
One more problem I noticed was that my birth certificate do not have my last name and my mother's name. Well as for the last name, some states(cultures) in India put father's name as the last name. For this to be rectified, my school principal wrote a letter stating the complete name entered in their database when I was admitted, that is my full name with the original last name, father's full name and my mother's full name.
Another thing which is very important in United States is the requirement of having your mother's name on the birth certificate, which is opposite to that of India, where father's name is extremely important in the birth certificate while mother's is optional. So now to rectify this, my mother prepared a legal affidavit stating that she is my mother and that the father's name on the birth certificate is her husband. Additionally they have attached the photocopies of the biodata pages of their passport where each others name are there as husband-wife.
In addition to all above, my father also got the original from municipal corporation of my birth city, they denied doing any changes in the birth certificate i.e adding the last name...which is understandable, they wouldnt want to mess with the original data entered, but were more than willing to write an affidavit, if needed.
All this was done in a week and speed post to me.

I havent received any RFE till date, but I am making sure I dont get stuck during interview for not having these documents.

I hope this helps you.

I also appreciate your efforts in making this and the interview dates forum. My best wishes to you for all the paper works.

another LUD on I485 today

I got another change in the date on my I485 today without change in message.

EAD 57 days over, waiting for approval.

Sameer

iEAD tried to get one today

Hello Everyone

Just to share this with everyone here, I went to the Bloomington, MN DO to try and get me iEAD its has only be 30 days as you can see from my timeline.

I spoke with the Officer there and she said that she couldnt give me one so soon. She said that usually they do give iEAD around 75 days if you have a job offer.

So i will try again if i dont get my card within the next month.

In the same boat

Mine EAD has been pending more that 100 days, no approval message, anybody know what is wrong with NBC? Anyone get recent approvals?

victim05

sameergupta said:
I got another change in the date on my I485 today without change in message.

EAD 57 days over, waiting for approval.

Sameer

Can one apply for Advance Parole after 90 days of RD/ND?

Have not recd EAD yet. Not that worried as employer has done H1. However, I do wish to travel in Jan/Feb on AP. Can one apply for Advance Parole after 90 days of RD/ND?

Hi Guys..I have a quick question..does a RFE on your I-485 processing reset the date on on your EAD processing?

TIA

ari4u said:
I spoke to a USCIS customer rep and according to her, i have to send the Non-Availability birth certificate. My case is a lil bit twisted. I have the birth certificate, my name is missing and my parents names are mis-spelt. When i was ready to send the forms, I called USCIS and asked what needs to be done in this situation and i was told not to submit the birth certificate as it would cause confusion and for me to only submit affidavits. Now im asked for non-availability certificate which i wont get as i already have a birth certificate. :confused: I have to now go through the whole hoopla of correcting my birth certificate so i can respond to the RFE. Got 80 days left...

Hi ari4u,

I am going to get a RFE and it may be for the same reason since I also had to submit an affidavit instead of a Birth Certificate. Can you explain what exactly is a Non-Availability birth certificate? Is this something that has to be issued from your home country?

Thanks a lot!

My interim EAD experience at NY DO

I want to share my interim EAD application experience with you.
I tried to get an interim EAD with a job offer letter at New York City District Office today (10/14/2005, Friday), as some of you tried. I didn't have any luck. The officer told me that I cannot get an iEAD unless I don't receive any EAD by mail after 90 days, no matter whether I have offer letter or not.
So my conclusion is: it is not a guarantee to get an iEAD even with an offer letter.

My timeline of E-filing EAD renewal:
ND 8/22/2005
FP 10/18/2005 (the next Tuesday)
No EAD

victim05 said:
Mine EAD has been pending more that 100 days, no approval message, anybody know what is wrong with NBC? Anyone get recent approvals?

victim05

Hi victim05, I assume its over 100 days after RD, so you are eligible for iEAD. Get an INFOPASS appt and go to your DO. Try to get the 7:15 AM appt as there wont be many people waiting and you dont have to wait that long for your turn.

Good Luck!

vikas_chopra said:
Have not recd EAD yet. Not that worried as employer has done H1. However, I do wish to travel in Jan/Feb on AP. Can one apply for Advance Parole after 90 days of RD/ND?

Since you already have your H1, cant you use that for travel?

As for AP, there is no fixed time to wait. If you have an emergency, you can go with proof to DO to get the AP right away. Thats what AP is for... "Emergency Travel"

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
abhp123 said:
Hi Guys..I have a quick question..does a RFE on your I-485 processing reset the date on on your EAD processing?

TIA

Yes. It does. In my case, it was over 90 days from RD, no RFE and no sign of EAD, so i went to DO and got iEAD and a week later i get RFE for I-485 (which explains the unexplained delay for the EAD).

Look at Optmo's thread to see how an RFE can affect your EAD timeline
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=185582

abhp123 said:
Hi ari4u,

I am going to get a RFE and it may be for the same reason since I also had to submit an affidavit instead of a Birth Certificate. Can you explain what exactly is a Non-Availability birth certificate? Is this something that has to be issued from your home country?

Thanks a lot!

You may or may not get one. RFE decision boils down to the officer who is looking at your files. Some officers are satisfied with the affidavit, whereas some are particular about following the rules to the last dot on the CFR. Mine definitely looked like someone who likes to play by the books so insisted on sending me an RFE asking me for my birth certificate..

This is how it works. IF you dont have a birth certificate, you need to get affidavits from your parents and other relatives stating evidence of time and place of birth. Additionally, the CFR also states that you need to submit evidence from concerned authorities in the form of a Non-Availability certificate stating that they searched their records and could not find that your birth was registered. Concerned authorities in this case would be the department that deals with birth and death records in the city you were born.

Good Luck!

Approved!

Ari & Co,

I finally received a notice from USCIS that my work Authorization card has been approved, this time the official one! I am on the 7th heaven! Please update the table. The notice was dated Nov 14, 2005.

I wish all of you the best of luck and lots of patience.

Cheers :)

Chigapo said:
Ari & Co,

I finally received a notice from USCIS that my work Authorization card has been approved, this time the official one! I am on the 7th heaven! Please update the table. The notice was dated Nov 14, 2005.

congrats :)

Congratulations! There is still hope in NBC. :)

Victim05

Chigapo said:
Ari & Co,

Thanks, ari4u, I still have time on my current EAD, this one is the renewal one. So I decided to wait although it is pass 90 days. It seems the process time posted by service centers is not that accurate. Still got a bit of patience to wait before I go to get iEAD in person, which is a long tour for me . Victim05 :(

ari4u said:
Hi victim05, I assume its over 100 days after RD, so you are eligible for iEAD. Get an INFOPASS appt and go to your DO. Try to get the 7:15 AM appt as there wont be many people waiting and you dont have to wait that long for your turn.

Good Luck!

Simpleseason said:
I want to share my interim EAD application experience with you.
I tried to get an interim EAD with a job offer letter at New York City District Office today (10/14/2005, Friday), as some of you tried. I didn't have any luck. The officer told me that I cannot get an iEAD unless I don't receive any EAD by mail after 90 days, no matter whether I have offer letter or not.
So my conclusion is: it is not a guarantee to get an iEAD even with an offer letter.

My timeline of E-filing EAD renewal:
ND 8/22/2005
FP 10/18/2005 (the next Tuesday)
No EAD

Sorry to hear that Simpleseason, I was thinking of trying that but I guess it's still the waiting game as of now...at least you have the FP appt, I've had no luck w/that so I'm just gonna try to be patient and see how it goes. Did they tell you anything of use at all at the DO?

Has anyone else heard back on their EADs approvals?

Gringo & Sameergupta - looks like you guys are next in line.

We went to Boston on the 14th of October to try to get a iEAD. Wife had offer letter for work and it has been over 70 days. We got a infopass and we didn't even get past the screening lady. She said that I had to wait the 90 days. :(
Just thought I share, seems to be the new trend.