EAD sent to wrong service center : Urgent Help Needed

lostingc

Registered Users (C)
My I-485 has been pending with TSC since May 2003. I am on my 2nd EAD which will be expiring end of July 2005. Our attorney filed a renewal (paper based). From the receipt notice, it looks like it went to NSC. Attorney says it was filed in TSC and TSC forwarded it to NSC after they looked at my address (currently address is Illinois). I sent all the documents on 4/15 and the attorney send me the receipt notice yesterday (dated 4/27). Has anybody heard this kind of thing before ? I am not sure if the attorney is saying the truth.

My understanding is the EAD should be sent to the center where your AOS is pending (based on what I understood from couple discussions in this forum). Is my understanding right ? The attorney thinks it should be based on where you live.

Please let me know what you all GURUS think. Should I re-file it again by myself in TSC ?

I don't think your attorney's story is true.

EAD/AP should go to the center where your 485 is pending. Me and my friends have 485 pending in CSC and NSC and we live outside the SCs "area" .... and our EAD/AP all came from the center that has the 485.
(Example: CSC has 485, living in MA - EAD/AP thru CSC, similarly living in TX and 485/EAD/AP via NSC)

Don't think your EAD would be forcibly sent to a SC based on your address ....

I believe, CIS will return your applications saying that they were sent to the wrong service center or they might forward it to CSC. Since you have received the receipts, I believe they will process your EAD.

Not sure but I read somewhere in the forum that the service center forwarded the application to the respective service center. Don't remember if that was for EAD or for 485.

I called the attorney's office and they confirmed that they sent the application to TSC and quickly switched to an argument with me saying it should go to the center that covers the area where you live. I think they sent it to NSC. I never heard a service centre forwarding it before even opening it and everything happened within a week of 2 weeks. How is that possible ?

I don't know what to do. If it is returned within 90 days, then I have to re-file and might be out of work for sometime until I get the approval. Should I go ahead and file another by myself ?

Looks like they are BSing you.

EADs goes to wherever the 485 is pending - it doesn't have any relevance to where you live.

Not sure about filing another -- wait for someone else to reply reg that.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/nebraska/aboutus.htm

It does not matter where you filed I485, Illinois falls under NSC's jurisdiction, your case will be processed by Nebraska service centre. As far as your I485 pending at TSC, either it will be transferred to NSC or if not, USCIS can lookup your I485 via internal case management system. Did you notify USCIS of change of address?

Hi nick_aus,

Yes, I did notify change of address. Hopefully you are right. I guess I will and see what happens. If they return my application, I will re-file but I guess I can still use the actual receipt date in case I need to go for iEAD.

Thank you all for your sincere opinion.

Do not worry

My 485 applied at NSC but I am in CA so my attorney applied all my EAD's (for the past 2 EAD's) at CSC. Everything went through well. if you have EAC number, check it out online and see the status there itself.

Last edited by a moderator: