EAD renewel question

dsatish

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I want to renew my EAD which is expiring in November. I think it is better to apply 4 months before expiration so that 3 months later we can goto local BCIS office if we don't get it from VSC.
I have 2 questions :
1) Based on recent renewal experiences, how much time is it
taking for EAD renewal at VSC ?
2) My lawyer charges extra money for filing for EAD.I would like to
file it on my own. Can i do that (because i have signed form G28
authorising my lawyer to deal with my case )?

Better to apply 2 months in advance. Currently its taking somewhere between 35-40 days for approval and 10 -15 days for mailing the card. Again , BCIS won't approve your application till they see you are closer to your expiration date. So plan well and file it, esp. when you are working on EAD.

Lawyer will charge you for making the packet ready and mailing it. You have to provide all the information to the lawyer anyways. Better to follow some of the threads on this forum wherein people have listed the documents needed for renewing EAD.

Hope this helps.

Hi dsatish,

From my point of view it's batter to file atleast before 3 - 4 months in advance due to the fact that BCIS processing time is unpredictable.

-- My EAD renewal application got approved after more than 2 months.

-- You can file it by yourself. I did it when first time i applied for EAD and i filed my EAD renewal through the Lawyer. There is nothing to worry about. Atleast you will save some bucks.

Hi dsatish:

I believe you can do it on your own. However, there is a G-28
form that's required to be completed by your attorney. The
question is - Is form G-28 required?

Better have your lawyer do it to avoid hassle. I just sent
my package to my lawyer to renew my EAD. They charged me
a fee plus a $30 FedEx handling charge. Just wonder how
much fee your lawyer has charged you?

My EAD expires in late Sept and I just sent the application
to my lawyer.

My 2 cents....

G28 is not a blanket form but associated with a particular petition. You can file multiple petitions with multiple G28's.( In essence you can do it yourself now).......

You can do it on your own and save money!!

It is very easy, last April I filed the renewal for my husband's EAD and it got approved with NO RFE's in 1.5 months.

The original I-485's were filed by the lawyer with G28...

Good Luck.

dsatish,

1> Good to apply 2 months in advance. When I applied for my renewal .. I applied just 5 days before the expiration date !!! But I advise you not to do this as I was sloppy and forgot to file till the last minute ...

2> Do not waste money on Lawyer for something like this. I completed the I-765 form myself and the form clearly specifies
what documents are needed. I mailed the form to BCIS and got the approval in 1 month 10 days and the card in 4 days after that ...

No other form is needed. Form I-765 is available at the BCIS website.

Maxx.

I think G28 form is a blue color form , It is pertain to that petition only . In that case any question or approvals will be mailed to that Lawyer.

So in your case it is not a problem to file on your own. I prefer to file atleast 3 months in advance. My spouse card will expire in september. So I applied on july 1st week . Because my wife is working on temporary but long term jobs. It is better if i have the card in hand.
Dont delay Act fast .. Aplly some time in 1 stweek of August and relax , it will approve before the current one expire
Good luck

Do it yourself.

dsatish,

EAD can be filed 6 months in advance. If i were you, i wouldnt take chance with BCIS and apply it atleast 3-4 months ahead. But if BCIS is approving your month's cases, may be you can file 2 months ahead.

You can definitely file it yourself. Save the money!!!

Thanks to all those who have replied. The consensus seem to be that VSC is taking about 2 months for EAD renewal. I will apply about 3 to 4 months before expiration and i will do it on my own.
My attorney charges $100 / person + BCIS Fees. So it saves me
$200 (may be $400 if i renew my AP also)

My EAD renew took about a month and a half, and they charged $120.00 for it. Someone knows when June will be happen?
Thanks.

dsatish,
Don't forget to include cut-off section from I-797D to speed up your application for extension of EAD.