EAD Renewal which to prefer

peace_of_mind

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Our EAD's expire in 4 months.
(1) Which processing method should I prefer, the general application process or E-filing?

(2) I could not quite understand, about E-filing and appointment for identification and fingerprint at local application process center. Does it mean that the EAD would be given immediately? or mailed and will take same amount of time as general application process?

(3) Also, after applying I-485 at NSC and EAD and FP, My company moved me to CA. If I apply for EAD renewal at NSC, will I be able to go to application process center in CA.

The reason is CA region will not come under NSC and they do not have any I-485 pending status information. I do not want to trigger my case transfer to CSC for any reason and get things delayed further.

(4) How good is it to apply all by ourselves, my attorney is asking for $600 as attorney fee.

Originally posted by peace_of_mind
Hi All,
Our EAD's expire in 4 months.
(1) Which processing method should I prefer, the general application process or E-filing?

Both get processed by BCIS in the same manner. So E-filing is purely a matter of convenience (from your perspective). As of now, there is no indication that e-filing would result in faster adjudication (but remember that it has been less than a month since e-filing was introduced). Remember that with e-filing, you need to make a trip to a BCIS office or application support center (ASC).

(2) I could not quite understand, about E-filing and appointment for identification and fingerprint at local application process center. Does it mean that the EAD would be given immediately? or mailed and will take same amount of time as general application process?

No. The appl. would still go through the same adjudication process as manual filing. I am not sure if a fingerprint is taken at ASC for EAD appl. You would be photographed.

(3) Also, after applying I-485 at NSC and EAD and FP, My company moved me to CA. If I apply for EAD renewal at NSC, will I be able to go to application process center in CA.

Yes. You need to call NCSC (after E-filing) to schedule an appointment at a nearby ASC.

The reason is CA region will not come under NSC and they do not have any I-485 pending status information. I do not want to trigger my case transfer to CSC for any reason and get things delayed further.

I doubt if the E-filing in and of itself would cause this transfer.

(4) How good is it to apply all by ourselves, my attorney is asking for $600 as attorney fee.

EAD appl. (or renewal) is fairly straightforward and many people on this forum (myself included) have done it by themselves. Just follow all the instructions on the form (which is not very long).

KS

Hello,

I am also looking for EAD renewal information. This is the Third EAD. The second EAD, I went to the local INS Center( Bloomington, MN), stand in the queue for more than five hours and get it done on the same day. Is this procedure is not valid any more and must apply thru either E-filing or filing thru paper documentation (sending into NEBRASKA, Black HOLE).

Please shed some light on this issue.

Thanks
Satya

peace_of_mind,

The E-filing's only drawback is that BCIS will have to schedule a appointment with you at the local BCIS office where they take a digital photograph. When they'll schedule this appointment is the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
d1203

I had scheduled and went for my appointment earlier this month. When I called them they gave me several days and times to choose from so it was very convenient for me. Only inconvenience I can see is you may have to take some time off work to make it to your appointment but the entire process did not take more than 15 minutes.

RAJ5,
One thing I would like to know is what exactly happened on your apointment. Did they just take a digital picture and send you home saying that your EAD will be mailed to you or did they print you EAD then and there....... what exactly happened?
In case if your EAD would be mailed to you, then in how many days?

peace_of_mind

They took my picture, finger prints and a digital signature. You have to take your I94 and the print out of your online application. They stamped the copies as evidence of my presence at that office but did not keep any of my documents.

Hope this helps.

Raj5,
After applying online, within howmany days did you get this appointment, lessthan a week or more....did you have a choice....

Also, my I-485 is in NSC. Presently I am working in CA. Will I be able to do it online and go to the nearest application support center in CA.

Hello Raj5,

What we need to enter for Current Immigration Status Field. Since, I applied for 485, it should be Adjustment of Status. But I won't find any selection in the listbox.

should we mail after visit

When you efile you have to send supporting documentation. Do you have to wait until your visit to the ASC before you send these supporting documentation? This will ensure you can send a copy of the stamped receipt notice as well. Any suggestions will help.

Please advise Guys!

I just filed an e-application for EAD renewal, do I need mail supporting documentation before I call BCIS to schedule an appointment.

What supporting documentation is required, please help guys ....

Thanks

USER RAJ5 Please Reply !

Did you get the EAD on the same day of your appointment ? What exactly happen on your appointment day, please reply ....

What other documentation do we need to take along with us on appointment day ...

Thanks

:confused:

My e-filing experience

Hello,
I e-filed for I-765.
Called and Got an appointment for the next day at ASC. I only took the printout-receipt.
They took my picture, one finger-print (right index) and signatures.

Stamped the Printout receipt (first page of .pdf file) and gave it to me. I mailed supporting documents after this appointment.

Supporting documents included;
1. Cover Letter which said that applicant is mailing supporiting documents (from .pdf file which you can download after submitting your application online)
2. I-485 copy
3. I-140 copy
4. Copy of stamped prinout-page (to prove that I appeared at ASC)
5. Passport info pages, visa and I-94 copies (to minimize RFE)

Hope it helps.

kjkool - EAD supporting documents

kjkool,
How did you find out which supporting documents to send? When I filled my application it said that send the supporting document if listed on the confirmation page but on the confirmation page there is no mention of sending the supporting documents. The address to send the documents is listed however.
Does everyone need to send the documents and if yes how do you know which ones? Is it possible they do not need documents for everyone and might access based on A# entered. Just want to clarify.

Thanks in advance,
ssmk

better be safe

Ssmk,

Since this is new, there is some confusion and there are things BCIS has left unexplained possibly. I just filed this and my interpretation is similar to the others......... I sent whatever supporting documentation that I will send with a paper copy. So this includes the stamped confirmation notice, copies of old EAD, and I-485 and a couple of pages of the passport.

Technically you are right........ they have your digital picture, your online application and information about your old EAD etc. which means they should ask you for nothing. But BCIS is far from perfect, in fact, we should all be glad if they don't do things deliberately incorrectly.

So better safe than be sorry later on........

Mark

Not a lawyer, never intends to be one...........
Please do consult your lawyer...........

ssmk,
Your concern is valid, but BCIS does not follow logic. Otherwise;

It would not take 2 yrs for I-485 to be processed after I-140 approval.
Finger Prints will never expire (They think that our finger-prints change after 15 months)
Nobody will receive RFE for company's tax returns (they can get that from IRS)
No RFE's for Copy of Approved I-140 notice for I-485.
FBI Clearance would not take 4 months.

I agree with markz.
I just guessed that what documents I would need to approve this case if I was a BCIS Officer ;)

Hope it helps.

missed the point

kjcool,
You seem to have missed the main point in my question. My actual and real question was whether there was anything mentioned on your confirmation page about which documents to send? In the instructions about filing the online application it is mentioned that if you are required to send the documents it would be mentioned on the confirmation page.
Looks like you just used your judgement to send the document which is good. I am just trying to understand from people's experience and understanding what is required and what is "optional".

Thanks,
ssmk

ssmk,
No, there was no mention of which documents to send. I used my own judgement, and from what people have been sending according to these boards.