EAD renewal to be mailed ( new law ?)

ravi2168

Registered Users (C)
I have situation come up...

I just recently recvd a RFE for my 485 application.
With 3 points.
1) Employer letter
2) Pay stubs
3) Tax for past 22 year.

Also My EAD was up for renewal.

I went to my local INS office, where I got my wife's EAD renewal in a day last month...

Now because of Home land Security changes. I walked in today for my EAD renewal and they informed me that we have mail in the application to the regional Service center. It might take 60 to 90 days to get the renewal....

I am confused... and in a fix. I have job but will not have an EAD.

Will I be considered Out of status for adjustment of status

Any suggestion or similar experience

Ravi,

When is yr EAD expiring? Are u using yr EAD or H1B for work purposes?
Legally u can't work on a expired EAD but if you still have a valid Hi1 you should be ok.

I am not on H1b, I am here for over 6 years now.

I am working on EAD and it is expiring on Jan - 06 2003. ( very close ) I expected the same procedure as for my wife ( walk in, give ur application and get the renewal. One days work. )

I am hoping for the best.

EAD Renewal

I went for Interim EAD Renwal to Arlington, VA today. They took a copy of the receipt and scheduled me to come on January 15th to get the EAD. My 485 is also in RFE received. My current EAD expires on Feb 18th.

I am not sure what they are going to say on Jan 15th(immediate renewal or wait for mail ?

Though I am working in EAD, I have 2 years left in my H1....

Is it advisable to extend my H1?
How long does it take for H1 renewal?

please respond

Arlington VA,

Is it your local INS office?

Good that you are considering the renewal early....

My local INS in st. Louis, supposedly will not renew EAD within 30 days of expiration of current EAD. I guess that is why you got the date of Jan 18.

This was last month ( as my wife got hers renewed last month) and this month, they shut down the EAD renewal process. And I am left in limbo, with only few days to work.....

My mistake is I should have gone about few days early to the Local INS....

I am not sure this is going to turn out.

Q -
Arling VA, if not your local INS... I might have more question....

Please respond

ravi,
If you send your renewal application for your ead immediately, you should get a receipt notice pretty quickly..as long as the ins have received your application and sent you a receipt notice..you will not be out of status..and you can continue to work on your old ead...

INSfiles I am sorry but the fact is that unless and until your EAD gets approved you cannot work legally. I had checked with INS information hotline and she suggested me to send my application ASAP which I did.btw my EAD was expiring on 01/06/2003. The minute your EAD expires you after that you cannot work with your expired EAD.

Looking at the current scenario INS may approve your EAD at a back date making it a proper case of continous employment.

Call INS and talk to them

My lawyer told me that "you can work" and this is a tech. issue, the new ead that will come will have a start date from the expiration of old ead.

Talk to your lawyer.

You will not be out of status as long as you have a pending I485 application(Even without a EAD/H1B). On the other hand you need to have an EAD(not just a receipt notice for EAD) to work.
I would say pay some bucks and call a lawyer and find out. Worse comes worse, you may have to take some unpaid vacation from your company.

As far as I know, you can start working on a RD of H1 but not on RD of EAD. Contact an attorney.

Good Luck!!

Yes ravi2168. My local INS is Arlington, VA. I also doubt you went on a walk-in day in the local INS. Try at a different day or try altogether in a different center.

My lawyer told me you can't work on EAD if it expired(eventhough renewal is pending).

You need get out of the company payroll or go on vacation.

Will going of vacation work?

I am not sure if my company lawyer would agree for me being on vacation... I would still be on roll right...