EAD Renewal Faq.

Silly Man

Volunteer moderator
Hi Everyone,

I have prepared a first cut of the faq for EAD Renewal. I donot know some of the answers, and it'll be great if everyone reads thru the faq so we make sure we are not disseminating any wrong information.

If there are any other questions to be answered, please let me know, and I will add them.

Once everything is finished, we will send the final version to PCee so he can host this faq on his site.

The site won't let me upload HTM, so I am attaching a zip file :rolleyes:

Sound cool?

Enjoy.

- SM

Silly Man, Very informative!!!

May be the moderator can keep this thread with Important priority on the top!

When I got my iEAD in San Jose back in 2002, the officer counted 90 days from the Received Date, NOT from the ND.

Good work SillyMan!

One correction:
Most of the INS officers count 90 days from the Receipt date. I got my iEAD on 91st day from the Receipt date.

So the better answer is:

Visit INS center to get iEAD on 91st day from I-765 receipt date, if you need iEAD immediately and can’t wait until Notice Date+90 days.

If you are not in hurry then visit INS to get iEAD on 91st day from I-765 receipt date

Address for sending EAD:

For USPS:

U.S. Department of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service
California Service Center
P.O. Box 10765
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1076

The following address is used for overnight delivery (Federal Express, UPS, etc.) or bonded courier delivery:

California Service Center
24000 Avila Road, 2nd Floor, Room 2302
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Last edited by a moderator:
Version Upgrade

Added a few more q's. Also took vipisha's suggestion and added a version number to the whole story.

It'd be great if you guys can read it and fill in on the answers we donot have on there.

IEAD before 90 days!!

Hi everyone:

Can someone put the information regarding getting an IEAD before 90 days of reciept date? This will be a wonderful information as in my case my lawyer has screwed me up by delaying the EAD renewal as the date is Dec 31/2002 (INS was working that day.... sounds amazing). My EAD expires on Feb 26. So I would like to know that detail.

Thanks Silly and everyone.

Tajiindia:(

One more question:

In the case that a valid H-1 expires while filing for AOS, is it advisable to have your company issue you an EAD card through the company lawyer?

Can one renew an H1-b while waiting for AOS? It seems to me like conflict of interest since AOS is intent to reside permanently whereas H1-b is for temp. workers. What's the right way to go?

More on EAD Renewal

Add to the list of required documents:
I-485 of principal applicant
I-140 receipt notice or (if avalable) approval notice

Recommended method to post: Courier services (Fedex, Airborn, etc.). Faster and have immediate tracking capabilities. It does not have to be overnight - you can use second day service to save a few bucks. However, these services are more expensive.

If using regular mail: send it certified or registered such that you have proof of delivery. Verify correct P.O. Box - INS-CSC has many, and wrong number causes more delays.

How to package the application, what goes first, use of clips, etc.:
There are instructions and tips in the INS-CSC web site:
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm .

Miscellaneous advice: Keep an exact photocopy of every mailing to the INS, so you can tell exactly what was mailed at what time even ten years from now.

(-)HR04

Can I file Addendum for 131 application?

Gurus,

Thanks for the FAQs.
This is really in English, unlike the official INS page.

I have already filed for EAD renewals ( me and wife) and recieved rcts., 3 weeks back.
With the Application, however, I did not file the
- copy of last I-765 Receipt Notice
- Marriage Cetificate for secondary applicant. (mywife's 131)

Is it required/possible to file an addendum for the pettition?

EAD Renewal

Hi SM,

it may ge useful to add, how many days/months in advance one can file for EAD renewal -- learnt from my attorney it it 6 months in advance from the expiry date of current EAD.

Thanks,
MBM

SM, I laughed a lot while reading it. Thanks. Need a little humor today after reading about 5 approvals from vsc and none from csc. As always, you did a great job here.

Originally posted by Silly Man
What part was so funny?

The part about INS officers ;)

I think they would be much nicer to us if they had sales commissions on fees we pay ;)

EAD renewal cover letter

Hi Folks,

Attached is the cover letter in text format. I filled for my EAD renewal recently. It contains a list of documents that I mailed with my application. Just as a brief history, My RD is 10\04\2001 and ND is 11\7\2001. FP done March 2002. WAC 02 034 XXXXX. My application is a derivative application i.e. my wife is the primary applicant.

This is just a sample, I in no way recommend\ endorse, people to use the format I used. If you choose to do so please, please do it at your own risk. I shall not be held liable for it. As always, please consult your attorney.

SM,

It would be great if you could include this in your zip file.

Regarding the reduction of the EAD fees, I went ahead and paid the full $120 as mentioned in the application form. A difference of $32 is not worh it. In addition I have heard that the INS will issue refunds in case you have over paid. I would have paid the reduced fees only if were mentioned in the application form.

Thanks,
MHJ

Another question to add to the FAQ

I got a question to ask you guys here.

What happens when the iEAD expires in 8 months and we still did not receive the REAL (not interim) EAD by then ?

Can we get another iEAD for 8 more months or do we need to file another EAD (i765) application before 90 days of the iEAD expiration date?

Anybody knows the answer?

Thanks.

My iEAD is expiring in Feb, I never got the "original" EAD and I have applied for EAD renewal.

TheWho.

Can we send two renewal applications in one mail ?

Hi gurus,

Finally it is my turn to renew my EAD and pay some money to INS.

My questions.

1) Can I send both mine and spouse application in one mail ? or need to do it Saperate ?

2) Derivative EAD for spouse, should I include my 485 receipt notice ?

3) Should I include I-140 approval notice ?

I am doing it myself, instead of apying my attorney.

Thanks, hope to see all of our approvals soon.

-RM