EAD Renewal - address change issue

kvanitha

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have applied for my Ist EAD renewal on 1/8/2005(actually I have sent docs from AR to my employer in MI, he may apply sometimes next week). I may get a situation to change my current address soon. My question is, how to receive my EAD card if I change my address(the new address unknown at this time). Usually how long it takes to get the EAD renewal?.

Please help me....

Thanks

----------------------------------
LC RD: 12 SEP 2002
LC AD: NOV 2003
I-140 AD: Mar 2004
I-485 RD: 28 APR 2004
Ist EAD: 26 JUN 2004
Ist FP: JUN 2004
2nd EAD: ????

My lawyer told me to start renew 6 months before EAD expires.I don't know if any rule has changed. Please correct me if I am wrong

kvanitha said:
My lawyer told me to start renew 6 months before EAD expires.I don't know if any rule has changed. Please correct me if I am wrong
Usual rule apply before 3 month of expiration. If it takes more than 3 mo you can get interim EAD in the local INS office.

I will suggest you to wait till after you move, to apply. Otherwise you will have to inform them of change of address and hope they update it in your system. Also 6 months is too early to apply. To be on safe side apply atleast 3 months before expiry of previous, I would say sometime in early March.

I agree with what others have suggested. I think one can start putting the papers together 4 months before the expiration of previous EAD. I think you will be OK anyway because the new EAD should have start date same as expiration of previous. My second EAD was approved just last week and I am yet to recieve the card so I do not know for sure.

Regarding your address change. One thing you can do is contact your attorney and ask him not to send the papers to INS and wait till you move to your new address, assuming that happens in next 2-3 months. If not, go ahead and send the papers and the EAD will most probably be approved before you move. Even in the case where you applied for your EAD and moved before its approval, you can change your address for your pending applications by calling the 800 #. I did that in my case where I could not wait to apply for renewal and niether could I move my apartment accordingly. I got my AP (renewal) already delivered to my new address and am sure will get my EAD card at new address too.

Hope this helps.