EAD renew

Madss

Registered Users (C)
My EAD is going to expired on May 23rd, I have not received my EAD approval yet. I applied my EAD in March 14 to vermont, I can not get infopass for a interim EAD from baltimore office, what Should I do if I did not get approval letter before 23rd. Could I continue working, Is it allowed or not. I know for H-1 renew, you could work as far as received you notice of application, How about EAD, Is it the same thing? My I-485 was transfered to Baltimore 5 months ago, I am waiting for interview letter also. It is too boring all this come together and frustrated.

Madss said:
My EAD is going to expired on May 23rd, I have not received my EAD approval yet. I applied my EAD in March 14 to vermont, I can not get infopass for a interim EAD from baltimore office, what Should I do if I did not get approval letter before 23rd. Could I continue working, Is it allowed or not. I know for H-1 renew, you could work as far as received you notice of application, How about EAD, Is it the same thing? My I-485 was transfered to Baltimore 5 months ago, I am waiting for interview letter also. It is too boring all this come together and frustrated.
You can get intermin EAD only after 90 days ... so its only after about June 14th or so.

You CANNOT continue to work after this EAD expires (am assuming you are currently working on EAD !). The receipt notice does not authorize you to work -- you need the actual EAD card (or interim EAD card).

If you are lucky, you'll get your EAD -- but you can try getting an appt and go to the local office a week before the EAD expires and try to plead your case.
It may not work -- but you have nothing to lose.

But remember -- in any case you don't want to work without authorization -- you could face serious issues ..... go on an unpaid leave of absence if you don't have an (i)EAD for after May 23.

Thank you MAx2k1:

I remember when I changed employer several years ago, I was still working on H-1B, I could working right after the INS received my application to change employer to renew my H-1B. It is working that way for H-1B not for EAD? I am working on EAD exactly. I also have made an inforpass appointment meet officer in Baltimore.

Yes -- the rules for H1 and EAD are quite different.

For H1 TRANSFER/EXTENSION, what you say is correct - you can work with just the "receipt" notice.

This is NOT the case for EAD -- you need the actual (i)EAD card

:)

Madss said:
If the company you are working for will provide a letter stating that they will have to terminate your position due to the fact that you will no longer have work authorization after may 23rd. Take the letter with an Infopass appointment to your local USCIS office and request for a interim EAD due to the fact that you will be let go if you don't get one. Make the infopass appointment as "questions about your case" or "speak to an immigration officer". Some, not all, local offices have an internal policy allowing for such interim EADs. Good luck.

EAD reciept and work

Hi,
I think it is OK to work on EAD reciept if you applied for renewal of EAD. I have read this some where. Can any one please confirm this is right?

Regards

gc4now said:
Hi,
I think it is OK to work on EAD reciept if you applied for renewal of EAD. I have read this some where. Can any one please confirm this is right?

Regards

This is not correct. You have to have the actual renewed card before or by the expiration date of the old card.

You cannot work without authorization (EAD) even with the receipt notice of I-765, while you can work with the receipt notice of H1b extenstion/transfter. These are different processes, I suppose.

BUT if your unauthorized work is for less than 180 days, you will be forgiven. You are likely to get a RFE (for i-485) to explain it later on, though.

So my suggestion is not to engage in any unauthrized work, but if you really have to, then try to minimize the period of your unauthorized work..

There is nothing in the INA that states that unauthorized work <=180 days would be "forgiven" -- so it would be at the discretion of the officer.

Don't take that risk - PERIOD.
Work ONLY with authorization - its not worth taking any chances.