EAD question

GC_SEARCH

Registered Users (C)
My labor certification has been approved and next month filing for I-140/485/EAD/AP. Here I have one question and there is no better place other than this forum to find the answer by the experts.

Before I put my question a little bit description about my case. I am working on H1-B and it is valid for couple of years more. I am engaged and my fiancee is Canadian citizen. I will be getting married in November this year.

Now, if I apply for EAD and let's assume it gets approved before my marriage but I don't use it (since I have option to use H1 instead of EAD) then would it be possible to get EAD for my wife after the marriage ? How the situation would be if I use EAD before getting married ?

My labor certification has been approved and next month filing for I-140/485/EAD/AP. Here I have one question and there is no better place other than this forum to find the answer by the experts.

Before I put my question a little bit description about my case. I am working on H1-B and it is valid for couple of years more. I am engaged and my fiancée is Canadian citizen. I will be getting married in November this year.
-------- You should maintain H1 status till you get married and once get married let her get H4 visa based on your H1B, she enters US on H4 then file her I-485, EAD with your I-485 filing receipt, she will get EAD
Now, if I apply for EAD and let's assume it gets approved before my marriage but I don't use it (since I have option to use H1 instead of EAD) then would it be possible to get EAD for my wife after the marriage?
---- YES , don’t use EAD, get married, let her get H4 stamped, she enters US as H4 holder file her I-485,EAD and AP, she will get EAD, AP
How the situation would be if I use EAD before getting married?
---- You will invalidate your H1 status if you use EAD, you can have EAD but don’t use EAD till your wife gets H4 after marriage and enters US on H4 visa

Thanks alot ginnu !!

Originally posted by ginnu

Before I put my question a little bit description about my case. I am working on H1-B and it is valid for couple of years more. I am engaged and my fiancée is Canadian citizen. I will be getting married in November this year.
-------- You should maintain H1 status till you get married and once get married let her get H4 visa based on your H1B, she enters US on H4 then file her I-485, EAD with your I-485 filing receipt, she will get EAD
Now, if I apply for EAD and let's assume it gets approved before my marriage but I don't use it (since I have option to use H1 instead of EAD) then would it be possible to get EAD for my wife after the marriage?
---- YES , don’t use EAD, get married, let her get H4 stamped, she enters US as H4 holder file her I-485,EAD and AP, she will get EAD, AP
How the situation would be if I use EAD before getting married?
---- You will invalidate your H1 status if you use EAD, you can have EAD but don’t use EAD till your wife gets H4 after marriage and enters US on H4 visa