EAD question

NSC-user

Registered Users (C)
I applied for renewing EAD in the end of March, and current EAD will expire in one week. Can I continue to work if I do not receive my new EAD card? when I applied for renewing my EAD, the data is from this week to next year, it means when
INS approved my renew (maybe next month?), new EAD will begin this week (or next month)? Please answer me , Thank a lot.

BCIS will NOT back dating EAD

if BCIS approves you EAD later than your expiration date, that aproval date will be your new EAD's start date, so there will be gap between your EADs.
Try to check online msg or call them, to see if you get approved, if so, I think you can work legally even before you receive the actual card. Otherwise it'll be risky if you work between your expiration date and your next approval.
illi

EAD...

I applied EAD on March 26th, '03 and still waiting. It has been 72 days...and they say its taking 60 to 75 days to process this kind of application. My current EAD expires on 06/06/03.

I don't think you can work legally between the two EAD's.

Mahesh.

Mahesh999,
I amin the same boat as you are.

EAD RD : Mar 26th 2003
Old EAD Expires : June 12th, 2003.

No News yet.

Regards,
Krishna

I just got my EAD renewed from NSC.

Receipt 03/18
Notice 03/20
Approval 05/24
Plastic Card Received 06/06

Planning to apply for AP but don't have the slightest idea how long that will be!

Just for your info my I-485 receipt date is 09/25/01, have had 2 RFEs responded to the last on 03/27/03. FP was done in May 02, so that'll expire in 2 months.

Hang in there guys, the sun will shine!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't get your EAD within 90 days of your renewal application, you can walk into your local BCIS office and get it.

Mahesh,
No news yet. I am planning to goto the local office tommorrow morning and give it a shot.. Otherwise I have to be on leave without pay.

- Krishna

Krishna...

I've got my 2nd Finger printing notice and is scheduled on Saturday 14th. So I am planning to take EAD receipt notices and try for Interim EAD. I will keep you posted anyway.

Thanks for your prompt response.
Mahesh.

Intresting. You know what?
I tried to be oversmart. My EAD expiring June 24 and I applied on Jan 6, 03 by thinking that even if it gets delayed, I will be safe. And what they did, they approved in 3 months but new date is starting from March 18, 03 that means I am having 2 valid EAD for the same time (Mar-Jun). Though I submitted copy of old EAD too but these guys never going to learn work.

That's how they end up calling immigrants from outside, Now who is going to teach them.

Wish you all well.

that better than applying late...

Amit...my lawyer had actually suggested me to apply for EAD 5 months before your current EAD expires. But seeing the trend of approval, I thought, it would take between 50 to 60 day to get my approval.

My friend had applied for EAD and got approved exactly in 56 days. His RD was just one month before mine.

Mahesh,
Interesting that you brought it up.. My wife (dependent) on I-485) received a second FP notice to our new address, but I did not get one yet. Its slated for July 1st, 2003.
Any thoughts? All the best for your Interim EAD.

Regards,
Krishna

PS : Per the IIO that I spoke to last week and the week before my case was "assigned" to an officer. Looks like it takes them for ever for a simple EAD renewal. :confused:

The 2nd FP could be because the results from the first were inconclusive (i.e. quality of the fingerprints). Or it could be you will need it but they forgot to issue you a notice. Hard to say. Logic and BCIS are mutually exclusive.

One note on EADs and continuity of status. I filed an I654 in December 2002 and it was only approved in May 2003. I talked to an IIO (a very helpful gentleman who also adjudicated cases) who told me the case was assigned to an officer in May 2003. Upon further questioning he volunteered that when he adjudicated cases, put the approval date as the date that he got the file. But in my case the Approval date was from January 2003 to January 2004. That means I will have file for an extension in July, since applicants are advised to do so upto six months before the current EAD expires. After this close call, that's exactly what I'll have to do.

The moral of the story is their is no rhyme or reason let alone consistancy when it comes to BCIS. Plan for the worst but hope for the best.

rgds,
sadiq

thanks for info...

Krishna...thanks for info.

I will try and let you know what happens with me. By the way what's your RD, ND for I485?

More queries on EAD....

1. Did all of you guys apply for EAD yourself or through Lawyer?

2. Has anyone tried Online application?

Thanks for your help.

StillWaiting....

Mahesh,
I-485 : RD : 04/26/2002, ND : 05/09/2002. Keep me posted.
Looks like I may have to be on leave without pay or Term rehire.

Regards
Krishna

Thanks, Raj....

...for redirection.

However, my first query was more important.

Wether all those posting on this thread applied themselves (presumably yes) or through a Lawyer? Just to know whether processing time is dependent on it. [As seemingly, some EADs are getting done in 55-70 days where as others take longer].

StillWaiting...

EAD Applied Online

I applied myself and for my wife. I did not take any help from my lawyer as the EAD application is simple enough to complete.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have..

GG