EAD question --- Urgent !!!

questinfo

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My EAD is expiring next month(3rd week). I still have to apply. I wasn't aware that I had to apply 90 days prior to the expriation date. Would I still be in legal status if I'm applying today? I hear it takes about 90 days to get the renewal. I'm not on H1B status anymore and my H1B is expiring next week. Should I apply for H1B along with renewing my EAD? Please adivse.

Thanks.

Hello Questinfo,
I feel that There is no rule that makes it mandotary that you need to apply for ead 90 days before expiration. it's only for one's comfort.

More ever, you will not be out of status just because your ead has expired. I think as long as your i-485 is pending nothing to worry about your status.

Please don't get tensed up. you may apply for H-1 volunterly not that you have to.

thanks.

do it now.

If you can not get new EAD, your legal status is probably fine. However, you do need either EAD or H1B to work. In other words, if you can not get EAD/HIB after your current one is expired, you probably have to take a vacation and wait.

There is no need to apply for H1B and EAD at the same time. You only need one of them to work.

good luck.

-----------------------
Hi,

My EAD is expiring next month(3rd week). I still have to apply. I wasn't aware that I had to apply 90 days prior to the expriation date. Would I still be in legal status if I'm applying today? I hear it takes about 90 days to get the renewal. I'm not on H1B status anymore and my H1B is expiring next week. Should I apply for H1B along with renewing my EAD? Please adivse.

Thanks.
-------------------

Re:EAD question --- Urgent !!!

Hello dhe_raji & ric2,

I really appreciate your inputs. Your replies were very helpful especially since I was worried I would be out of status.

Thanks once again !!

Been there, done that ... here's what you need to do...

If your H-1's expiring next week, you must amail your H-1 extension before that - irrespective of whether or not you are eligible for an extension. Filing the application itself extends your eligibility to work till you hear about the decision on the extension, and therefore you can work uninterrupted till you receive the EAD/H-1 extension approval

As for the EAD, it takes nowadays approx 6-8 wks to get it. If 90 days have passed you can personally go to the Local Office to get the EAD (you cannot get it in person before that time).

If your company files the H-1 extension for you and you are eligible for the extension and if your GC is expected soon, then you don't even need to bother to file for EAD or AP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello questinfo,

My EAD/AP renewal took just about 2weeks. Hope this info helps!!

R C

Originally posted by R C
Hello questinfo,

My EAD/AP renewal took just about 2weeks. Hope this info helps!!

R C

Hi R C,

When did you apply for renewal? I mean what date?

Thanks

QuestInfo,
My RD for EAD renewal was Jul'9th. I got the EAD card on Jul'24th.

R C