EAD question. Pls, HELP!

GCwaiting11

I am on GC pending status (ND 17/11/2001).
At the end of 2001 I received the EAD with the following dates:
valid from 12/13/01; expires 12/12/03.
This month (Aug, 2002) I received a letter from my lawyer, telling that I have to renew my EAD. I asked her whether I should renew that if it expires only in 1.5 years. She replied that this is anINS error, regulations state that EAD could be issued only for ONE year, and I have to renew it anyways.

Does anybody know where I can find the information on the EAD regulations. I did not find this limit "ONE YEAR" anywhere.

All comments and advises will be highly appreciated,

Thanks.

You've got a good lawyer

You're lucky to have a good lawyer who tracks your case and remind you of the situation. I'll do what she/he said.

My lawyer never reminded me of my I-94 card expiration (just one week after filing I-485) or advise me to renew or get a new one. Even though I myself found out and went to the local office and I was told that it was not necessary to get another one based on my H1 valid dates, it has casued me big trouble. It's too late to complain that the local officer did not give me one when she should have and my lawyer should have made it an issue and get anohter I-94 card for me then.

It's usually one year for EAD (I heard). Many web sites have FAQs where you can find answers to your questions: www.murthy.com, www.immihelp.com...
or do the keyword search on the INS web site. It' s good to find the anwers yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I94 duration

Hi Gurus

I was on J1 visa and applied for I485. My J1 visa was only for 2 yrs I never got it extended as I got I140 approved under EB2 and applied for I485. Now I plan to travel overseas, I have the AP and EAD, WAS I SUPPOSED TO GET NEW I-94 when my J1 expired or what. Any info and help appreciated in advance.

no new I-94 in the US

Once you have applied for 485, you are an 'adjsutee' and I-94 alidity is considered BEFORE the filing dates of 485, that is, you should be in a lawful status prior to filing 485 (else you might need 245(i)).

moonlight101 :

To travel abroad on 485, all you need is AP and you should be fine. The old one (even though expired) won't be a problem as you are an adjustee now. When you will re-enter, you will get a new I-94 on which instead of J-1 or H-1, they will write 'adjsutee'.

jnjn:

I don't why you needed a new I-94. If the one you hasve expired, you should have got a new one based on the extension of your status. For example, if you chaged or extended H-1, it usaully coems with the approval notice. You can't get I-94 from the local INS office. Unless you travel outside you will not get a new I-94 as the old ones need to be dropped when you leave.

Last edited by a moderator: