EAD only for part time job or side business ?

east2west

Registered Users (C)
Wondering if anybody has any comment on this :

Quote from http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/ead.html

"The primary applicant and his/her spouse can apply for work permit(Employment Authorization Card or 'EAD' in short) which allows the spouse to work for any company and the primary applicant for another part time job or side business without any need to file H1B visa, as long as the primary applicant keeps working for the employer who filed his/her greencard."

Does anyone have a confirmation about the last part - what is the good of EAD if you have to work for the same employer ?

east2west said:
Does anyone have a confirmation about the last part - what is the good of EAD if you have to work for the same employer ?

This statement has an assumption that the current employer is the greencard sponsorer (and most of the cases it is). Therefore, if you leave your GC sonsorer employer, that indicates that you don't want to work with GC sponsorer anymore - therefore you are abandoning youir GC process.

Otherwise, there is no such rule that says the you have to work with "same employer" in AOS stage.

Lastly, my own assumption is/was that when a person works for his H1 employer with H1 status and starts a parttime job, he/she does not loose his H1 status. He/she looses only when he/she leaves his H1 job. But, many people in this forum debated this issue with me and some of them said that their attorney told them that H1 and EAD status cannot co-exist together. However, I have not come across any memo/document that contradicts my assumption. Probably this immihelp site tried to convey the same message - very unclear way. But I don't know.