EAD lost in mail?

ECLIPSEGSX4G63

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone's EAD taken over 3 weeks to come in the mail after getting Card Production Ordered email, I received first email on Dec 14, and I still havent got it, lawyer received approval notice though but not the EAD card

Have you checked your case status again in the past week? If it was returned to USCIS, it will say so when you check your status.....

Yes it will, that was my point ;)

The only nightmare scenario is if it went to somebody else's mailbox because of the postman/postwoman's error, and the person who received it trashed it. But that's very unlikely since it's from the DHS. So if you don't get it soon, it will probably be returned and you'll see it on the USCIS website. The "Current Status" will change to say "Notice returned" or "Document Returned".... after which you call them and set things straight!

Yes it will, that was my point ;)

The only nightmare scenario is if it went to somebody else's mailbox because of the postman/postwoman's error, and the person who received it trashed it. But that's very unlikely since it's from the DHS. So if you don't get it soon, it will probably be returned and you'll see it on the USCIS website. The "Current Status" will change to say "Notice returned" or "Document Returned".... after which you call them and set things straight!

Thank you jk0274, i just hope it didnt go to somebody else's mailbox

Has anyone's EAD taken over 3 weeks to come in the mail after getting Card Production Ordered email, I received first email on Dec 14, and I still havent got it, lawyer received approval notice though but not the EAD card

That's a little strange !!! For the last time of renewal of my EAD , as i remember , the approval notice was sent to me ( not my lawyer ) in the same envelope with the actual EAD card !!! And i've call USCIS to make sure about the "approval notice " if it was sent separately , and their answer was that the actual approval notice it is the form I797 ( Notice of action ) wich was sent together with the actual EAD card !!! So , for me it sounds a little strange !!! If your lawyer received the aproval notice , where it is the card ???
Just contact your lawyer and tell him to send you the original aproval notice , and with that you can take an infopass and inquire about what's happenin ' there ???!!!
Good luck and hope you'll have news soon !!!

That's a little strange !!! For the last time of renewal of my EAD , as i remember , the approval notice was sent to me ( not my lawyer ) in the same envelope with the actual EAD card !!! And i've call USCIS to make sure about the "approval notice " if it was sent separately , and their answer was that the actual approval notice it is the form I797 ( Notice of action ) wich was sent together with the actual EAD card !!! So , for me it sounds a little strange !!! If your lawyer received the aproval notice , where it is the card ???
Just contact your lawyer and tell him to send you the original aproval notice , and with that you can take an infopass and inquire about what's happenin ' there ???!!!
Good luck and hope you'll have news soon !!!

My lawyer sent me a copy of the approval notice and it says that the EAD card will be sent seperately to the beneficiary which is me, I just hope I received it soon

Yes, sometimes there is a separate approval notice sent before the card is sent, and sometimes just the card alone is sent. The important thing is the card. If you get the card but not the approval notice, that's not uncommon and certainly no reason to call USCIS about it.

Hello folks,

I went on vacation after applying for EAD and it seems my EAD came and the post office sent it back to sender as unclaimed since I did not return by the date which I had given for holding my mail. Now INS says, it has not received anything returned, and post office says they sent back all the mail. I dont know what is happening. The online status says "Approval notice sent" by Oct 3rd. Is it the notice or the EAD card which they sent? I called INS once, and made a request, they replied saying I need to reaplly again.

Any idea what is going on?

Usually you will only get one status change on the online case status site. In my case, for example, it says

"On May 5, 2007, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION."

I did have an approval notice sent, and then separately the card arrived. But the sentence above remains to this day. So in short, the above sentence would mean they sent either the card alone or both card and approval. In your case, the status would have changed (or should have changed) if the post office had returned the card to them. Note that it takes a few days to a few weeks for USCIS to change a status that the card was returned. When did you return from vacation. If you cannot recover the card (neighbors maybe? Still in the post office unbeknownst to the person at the counter?) then I'm afraid USCIS is right, you will have to apply for a replacement.

lost ead

Hi jk,

thanks for the reply. I returned from vacation beginning of this month (Jan), and I even talked to the supervisor at the post office. I doubt neighbors would have taken it as the mailboxes are locked and mail man had already started dropping the mail in the box by early Dec. And I got all that mail, but mail before Dec, is lost. So after the Oct 3rd, status message, if it had arrived during Oct/Nov, then I may have lost it. But the funny thing is, CIS said different things at different times, to my email, they responded asking to reapply. When my Atty called, they seemed to have told that cards haven't been sent out yet!! Is that possible that they didn't send the card since Oct?

No, it is highly improbable that the cards haven't been sent if the approval date is October. As for USCIS Customer "Dis"service, they will tell you different things every time you call because each person there has their own opinion or, more frequently, their own silly guessing. What one needs to do with USCIS is make an informed decision based on all the conflicting statements they will make. In your case, even though you talked to the post office supervisor, you might try again, showing them a print-out of the Case Status page where it says "document sent" and make it sound really important (Department of Homeland Security and all of that) and ask if there is any obscure corner or bin or anywhere else in the Post Office where this missing mail could be because it's nowhere else to be found and it was not returned to DHS. Your job is at stake, is there any other post office where this mail could have been stored? You might also consider making an INFOPASS appointment to complain to USCIS that you never got the card (don't tell them you were on vacation unless they ask) and tell them that the post office hasn't seen it.

Or you can just apply again, but see if you can get them to waive the fee based on USCIS error (something you may have to convince the INFOPASS officer of, so take a new application there with you if you go with pictures, etc).

Also, this will sound dumb, but the card itself may come in an unmarked envelope - make sure you don't mistake it for junk mail in the pile of mail that was waiting for you...

lost EAD

Thanks JK,

Appreciate your input. I will make an Infopass appointment and see what they say. I did take the USCIS response print out to the post office, but couldn't get them to act different. I heard they send the returned mail to MRC (mail recovery centers, as they are called) and destroy them if they are not first class mail!! Will keep posting here on ongoings.

Thanks

I got I-765 Card Prod ordered - CRIS Email on 10/16/07 but i did not get EAD card, my spouse got card within one week of email. My lawyer called USCIS in first week of Jan. I received card on 1/26/08. I also got seperated mail from USCIS that they have resend EAD card in response to service request. It was also mentoned that post office had returned card first time. I have no idea why card was returned first time, i havent changed address. Hope this information helps you.