EAD issued but can't graduate!

poddarp

I am in a sticky situation - I already have my EAD authorizing me to work all of next year (2006). However, now I can't graduate in December 2005 as planned. I need to extend my I-20 until May and graduate in May. I understand I can't legally work full-time under OPT until I graduate. My questions are:

1) Can I work part-time OPT or any CPT during the spring semester until graduation (since I already have my EAD)?

2) Can I begin full-time employment after graduation in May until the end-date on my current EAD?

Thanks so much!

are you a graduate student? if yes, you can start working before you graduate.

if not, you can work after you graduate.

Same Situation

To LucyMO, I am in the same situation that I couldn't finish my thesis on time.
I got my EAD which starts on 1/3/06, but I need two more months to thesis completion. According to your reply to this thread, I can start using my EAD now, is that correct? Do you think I can find any legal document to support it? My employer is giving me full time offer and now he is eager to put me in payroll system. I am worry if I am going violate any law if I use EAD before I completely finish the final thesis........

Thanks and Happy New Year.
Sally

LucyMO said:
are you a graduate student? if yes, you can start working before you graduate.

if not, you can work after you graduate.

Careful

Be careful.

No changes in your I-20 are allowed after you have received the EAD.

If changes are made, the EAD is void. This information is available in the OPT application forms as well as many other university websites, including yours.

Talk with your immigration counsellor (or let me know if they are no good, I will talk with the ones here and let you know as soon as I can).