EAD is NOT renewed back-to-back

brightstar

Registered Users (C)
My wife recieved her EAD and there is a gap between the first one and the new one. I thought before that it will renewed back to back. I was wrong
I am still waiting for my EAD. Its more than four months
EAD (renewal)RD:10/25
Still waiting...

If the renewal is approved before the expiration date of the current EAD, the dates will be back-to-back.
If it is approved after the expiration date of the current EAD, the start date will be a new one.
That's why you should have applied for renewal at least 100 days before the current EAD expired so you could have gotten an interim EAD on day 91.

EAD

02/13/2004: Post Dating of EAD Renewal Available Per USCIS HQ Permission

According to the Nebraska Service Center, the Service Centers were given a green light by the USCIS HQ in September 2003 to issue the post-date" EAD so that people can obtain a full 12-month renewed card. Since the EAD holders are permitted to file EAD renewal up to 6 months in advance of the expiration of the current EAD, inasmuch as it is within this time frame, people may be able to apply for EAD extension early on so that they do not face a crisis of EAD renewal application being still pending at the time of the expiration of the current EAD. Accordingly, people may be able to request the EAD renewal period from the date of expiration of the current EAD until one year from the starting date. In the renewal application, people may remind the Service Center of November 5, 2003 NSC Q&A so that they can check with the USCIS HQ internal permission back in September 2003.
We commend the USCIS for the right move. It will help somewhat workload of EAD processing. EAD processing takes a large share of the USCIS immigration benefit workloads. Last year, this web site recommended the legacy INS to adopt this procedure.

EAD NEWS

03/08/2004: USCIS Sent Proposed 2-Year EAD Validity Rule for I-485 Waiter for OMB Review

On March 4, 2004, the USCIS sent the proposed rule to remove mandatory validity period for I-485 waiters for OMB review. The proposal states that this revised rule will enable it to issue Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) for those applying for work authorization under 8 CFR
274a.12(c)(9) (I-485 filer category) for a validity period of up to two years. This category is reserved for those applying for adjustment of status,having filed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with the Department. The rule change would give DHS the flexibility to issue EADs for the length of time it anticipates that adjudication of a given case will take. As we reported earlier, the USCIS was pushing this policy for some time. Initially, it planned to publish in December 2003 with the comment period ending in April 2004. It is now a matter of time that the USCIS will issue to I-485 waiters not one-year validity EAD but longer than one-year validity EAD. Somewhat a good news for the immigrant community.