EAD is Approved, Help Applying for SSN

Amit231

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I received my EAD 2 week ago. I went to apply for SSN but they asked for Passport.

My old passport is done. will there be any problem if I get new or renewed passport and take it with EAD? I was told that new passports won't show visa stamp on it. will ssn will be able to look up record with out visible stamp?

The SSA office just look for an official/goverment ID and the EAD. Since you just went with the EAD that was not enough, they need an identification.

Good luck,

You can bring 2 passports with you. I have my visa in my old passport that is expired already and I have another passport, so I carry both of them at all times.

my wife recieved her EAD about a week ago and today she went to apply for SS # athe SS office and she had all her documents however the woman told her to come back in two weeks because she said she was not in system yet
anybody heard of this?

Amit231 said:
Hello,
I received my EAD 2 week ago. I went to apply for SSN but they asked for Passport.

My old passport is done. will there be any problem if I get new or renewed passport and take it with EAD? I was told that new passports won't show visa stamp on it. will ssn will be able to look up record with out visible stamp?

Just bring your state issued driver's license. The EAD and driver's license should be sufficient.

It's normal. Sometime it takes them 1 - 2 Weeks to receive your EAD information in their system. Just Try back after 10 days.

Also, My Friend applied on I-687 - sent all evidences and case is being processed, however his I-765 is Approved, but he don't have passport, he is going to apply for it but meanwhile will there be any problem for him at ssn since it's just going to be new passport without visa or anything? or it's good enought with EAD just for Identification, he doesn't have anyother id but school records and stuff.

Thanks.

thanks amit123 very much for info, as you know anything for immigration needs to be done asap,thanks

Amit231 said:
Also, My Friend applied on I-687 - sent all evidences and case is being processed, however his I-765 is Approved, but he don't have passport, he is going to apply for it but meanwhile will there be any problem for him at ssn since it's just going to be new passport without visa or anything? or it's good enought with EAD just for Identification, he doesn't have anyother id - has birth certificate from US Embassy in USA.

Thanks.

I think he might have a problem, here's what I found:
If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current U.S. immigration documents. Acceptable documents include your:

* Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);
* I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or
* Work permit card from the Department of Homeland Security (I-766 or I-688B).

He can always try but I think he's gonna have to get a passport before going. Oh wait...is he a USC? then everything is diff.

nope, he is not citizen, he filed I-687. I told him to get a passport anyway. don't know about what they mean by machine readable immigrant visa. he has EAD card so far.

sorry, I meant Indian Embassy where he got his birth certificate from, I am use to us embassy so made error in typing.