EAD Extension

vijaykumar36

My first EAD was valid until nov-2005. Then I applied for extension 3 months before the EADs expiration date. I got my 2nd EAD and it was valid until Aug 2006 only.
They are calculating 1 year from the time I applied for EAD extension (Not from EAD expiration date) .So here we are losing 3 months on every extension.If we apply for extension before 5 months , we will lose 5 months in the next EAD.
Can't we do anything about this? :confused:

Uhmm that is wrong. Make an INFOPASS and check that out or call the service number...although I will prefer to make an INFOPASS.

What type is your case that you had to renew your EAD for 2 years so far?

And your first EAD was probably dated about a month before you received it... So it really expired in 11 months, not 12.

I agree with Vijaykumar36. That is a cheating from USCIS. I am going to loose 4 months when I will get my EAD renewed.

It is cheating from USCIS. You apply early as you dont want existing EAD to expire and when new one comes you loose atleast a couple of months. I mean come on....it costs hard earned money ...dont they realize this? We cant wait till it expire and then apply. I guess people on EAD like me and you have to live with this shit till the GC comes.

I dont understand. One applies for extension 3 months before EAD expires and since EAD takes approx 3 months to get approved, it arrives in time before the current EAD expires. I got my GC before i could even renew my EAD so i dont know what the problem is. Can someone explain? Thanks :)

I am explaining this issue in detail for ari4u.

I applied for concurrent filing(both I-140 and I-485 together) in aug-2004.
Got my first EAD during nov-2004 valid till Nov-2005.(USCIS gives EAD that are valid for 1 year only. And we need to extend each year).
Then I applied for my EAD extension on aug-2005, because it will take 3 months to get my extended(2nd) EAD card (without that I cant work).
Then I got my 2nd EAD card which was valid untill aug-2006 only.

The issue here is USCIS is calculating 1 year from the time I applied for EAD extension and NOT from the expiration date of first EAD card.

Technically my 2nd EAD card should be valid until nov-2005.

Now since my PD is Sep-2003, I need to keep extending my EAD every year.And every year I am losing 3 months.

If USCIS gives EAD valid for 3 years it will be good.

vijaykumar36 said:
I am explaining this issue in detail for ari4u.

I applied for concurrent filing(both I-140 and I-485 together) in aug-2004.
Got my first EAD during nov-2004 valid till Nov-2005.(USCIS gives EAD that are valid for 1 year only. And we need to extend each year).
Then I applied for my EAD extension on aug-2005, because it will take 3 months to get my extended(2nd) EAD card (without that I cant work).
Then I got my 2nd EAD card which was valid untill aug-2006 only.

The issue here is USCIS is calculating 1 year from the time I applied for EAD extension and NOT from the expiration date of first EAD card.

Technically my 2nd EAD card should be valid until nov-2005.

Now since my PD is Sep-2003, I need to keep extending my EAD every year.And every year I am losing 3 months.

If USCIS gives EAD valid for 3 years it will be good.

I see. Thanks for the explanation and that sucks big time that the validity of EAD renewal is counted from the notice date... Is there something that can be done? Losing 3 months everytime EAD is renewed is very bad and if you renew EAD 4 times, you already lost one year worth of EAD time and money there :mad:

Can be that they input the date of the applicationthe instead of the expiration date of the previous card? that should be authomatical from the database....but who knows how those things are working.