EAD expiring when returning from India.

urgentgc

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys,

I am travelling to india using Advance Parole but while returning, my EAD would be expired. I have already applied for EAD renewal 2 months ago.
Please advice if it would be problem travelling with expired EAD but valid Advance Parole.

Thanks in Advance
urgentgc

I-485
EAC-02081xxxxx
Rd: 12/26/2001
Nd: 01/09/2002
fp1: 03/27/2002
fp2: 09/10/2003
fp3: 12/23/2003
AD: ???

In general if you have valid AP it should not be a problem. In case they ask about EAD you can say you are not carrying EAD, just to avoid the further questions. Keep I-485 receipt.

EAD expiration doesn't matter for travel. They don't ask for your EAD. Just carry AP and 485 receipt.

Not sure how important, but I was asked for EAD both at India and U.S when I came back last week, used AP on return and had IEAD both issued by Newark office as both renewal for 3rd EAD and AP was stuck at VSC for > 90 days.

Recently one of my friends went to San Antonio TX for Christmas Weekend. Since this city come near Mexican border there is lot petrol in this area. He did not take his passport or any document with him. Some one caught him started asking question. This poor fellow does not have any thing other than his DL. But officer was good. He left him but suggested him to carry at least valid EAD from next time.
When he told his attorney about this incident his attorney told him that although it does not make any sense to carry EAD at POE, some officers give lot of importance to EAD.

Just Carry EAD

EAD is just a work document- and not a staus document. But of course that seems to be the only document that has a picture, date etc. So that would be the only document that you can show/carry -> somebody may want to see.
For example for renewing Drivers Licence they do not look at I-94 or AP - they look at EAD. Since this a sort of new/grey area - just carry EAD in your wallet and show it. EAD is easier to carry than a Passport or your AP or I-94.
Till you get GC just have to put up with it.
HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgentgc:

My understanding is that the INS office at the San Francisco Int'l Airport often askes for your EAD card. However, it appears that the EAD is asked to get your "A" number. If you have other documents with your A number, don't show them your EAD card.

dhw