EAD expiring-- PLEASE HELP!!!

ganesh33

Registered Users (C)
My EAD is expiring on 08.03.2003. My lawyer will be filing(non-electronic) for EAD renewal tomorrow.
I am in Chicago.
My lawyer is saying that now a days its taking 3 months for renewal and that I have to be off of my employer's pay roll
till I get the renewal...I've not talked to HR about this yet.
What are chances that I may get renewal within next 25 days?
What other options do I have.
Can I go to local BCIS office before 90 days?
If I am not employed, should I leave the country.
Please help.
Thanks a lot in advance.

:confused:

ganesh33,
Do u have a valid H-1B which you can transfer? In this case, you can work using the receipt of H-1B. Which is your service center?

- che22

che22,

Thanks for immediate reply.

I have still 8 months left on my H1. But, in December 2002,
I used EAD to join my current employer. I don't know whether my previous employer has cancelled H1B or not.
(I switched job 6 months after filing I485)

My service center is Nebraska.

I've talked to my employer (HR) about my problem.
HR told me that the company will grand me Leave of Absence (without pay) from 8.5.2003 (my EAD expires on 8.4.2003) till I get my EAD renewed. As I will not be paid, I won't be in the pay-roll.

I've send all the necessary documents to my lawyer today.
She will be filing for renewal tomorrow.

Once I get my receipt number, can I call BCIS-local office (Chicago)
and ask for an appointment(before I hit 90 days)?

Can you guys please advice me on this.

I got my ead extension 2 months after the RD.

According to a local BCIS officer I've spoken too, when I was in the same boat as you (not as worse though, I got almost 2 months before expiry) , there's no way for them to speed up the process. Though your employer may try to include in the application a letter that states your importance with the company; (that company can't afford to lose a staff like you for so long; that you play a major role in the company, stuff like that....), there's still no gurantee that your case will get expedited. But at this point, with your current situation, including a letter from your employer is worth a try, it's not gonna hurt the application anyway.

einuj somar,

You mentioned that it took 2 months for you get the renewal.
Is it to get the approval or to get the card.

I was told by lawyer that now a days, its taking 2 months to get it approved and that that's all I need to get back to my job.
Is that correct. Please advice.

It took 2 months to get approved (i checked online with message 'you're card has been approved.. and ordered... and will be mailed to you...); a little less than 2 weeks to get the card.

Whether it's alright to work with the approval BUT without the card really depends on the company you work for. From what I've gathered in the other EAD threads, some company requires the physical card; and, some don't. Maybe, when your application got approved, showing them a copy
from 'BCIS online status check' will convince them that it's alright for you to start working while waiting for the physical card.

Now, if you don't get an approval after 90 days, then most, if not all, BCIS offices issues an interim EAD on the 91st day.

Goodluck.

:cool: If your EAD is getting expired before 90 days from the date of filing your EAD extn. You can still get a Interm EAD.
You need to get a letter from your employer stating, You will be terminated from the current position for not having the EAD, Chicago INS issuing the Interm EAD for 90 days these days as a special situation. I got the Interm EAD last week like this.

After you get the receipt notice, visit the local INS Chicago office and talk with the officer.

Hi kondurkumar1,

Thanx for your reply. It was a life saver.
I'm waiting for my receipt notice(documents sent on 7/11).
As soon as I get it, I 'll go to local INS office(Chicago).

I assume that your local office is Chicago.
Can you please let me know the name of the officer that you dealt with. Did you call the local office first (to get an appointment)or you walked in. How long was the process. What documents did you carry with you. Was there an interview.
I'll be greatful if you can answer my questions.
Also, if possible, can you send me(ganesh33@hotmail.com) a sample of the letter that you got from your employer.

Thanks a lot in advance.

EAD Renewal
RD: 07.14.2003
ND: 07.14.2003

My current EAD expires on 08.04.2003(13 days from now).

I'm planning to visit local BCIS office at Chicago (before I hit 90 days from RD) and try to get an interim EAD.

If any one has similar experience, please share.
--Should I call local BCIS office first or just walk in
--what doc's should I carry
--Content (format)of letter from employer

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,
My RD is 04/07 and ND is 04/10. My center is NSC
Still it is not approved. When I went to local INS they told me they have stopped issuing intrim EADs. Did you inquire at Chicago INS are they issuing intrim EADs??

Hello All,

I'm pending AOS and
my H1B expires this December.
When applying for I-485 I also applied for EAD and got it but
it expired in March. I never used the EAD since I'm on H1B, but
after my H1B expires in December I plan to use the new EAD
which I'll apply for now.

Questions:

Once I get the EAD and actually start using it after my H1B expires, what must I do? e.g., just show my company's HR the
EAD card? Or are there other forms that the company and/or I must file to the BCIS?

On the I-765 form, do I need to check "permission to accept
employment" or "renewal of permission...". The thing is I'd never
used the previous EAD card which has now expired. Although,
while I was doing practical training I did use an EAD card to work
previously.

Thanks all for your help.

U have to fill form I-9
Even though u have not used EAD - u are applying for it a second time - so it is renewal.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, is the address to send the EAD application correct
on the I-765 form (for CSC Service Center). I noticed that the address that my lawyer sent to previously was different from the
one in the EAD application instructions.

Can someone cofirm what exact address we need to send the EAD application to? The form still says INS, but they are now BCIS,
right?

Thanks all for your help.

I'm too in same boat!!!

In my case I'm at boston. And have filed renewal of EAD at Boston local service center.
So where should i go for interim EAD card.
Which local office?