EAD Expiring, New Job - Please share the experience

DoubleGC

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone!
I am an October 01 filer waiting for GC approval like most others on this board. Need little advice on my peculier situation.
I am getting laid off from my current client and fortunately I have an offer on hand. My EAD is expiring on 24-JAN-02 , and I have applied for renewal RD 03-DEC-02. Here is the delima I am in .
If I take this offer and my EAD does not get approved before Jan 24, will I be out of status/will the new employer not be able to pay me?
My current employer pays on bench for about 6 weeks, if they are not able to get me a project with in this time frame they usually layoff. With the current market condition there is a very little chence of getting a new project.
Any immi gurus on this site sugget what to do.

Thanks a bunch!

EAD processing took 4 weeks in my case, others got theirs in 3 weeks. So, you have 8 weeks - that should be fine. Have your checks already cleared? It seems to take 2-3 weeks once the check have cleared. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Looking the current EAD approval trend, looks like some of them are close to two months of wait. I really hope mine get approved soon. If it does not can I go for an interim EAD...
Assuming I don't get approval before expiry, can I go on unpaid leave for a couple of weeks or until the EAD is approved ? Or can I still work with an expired EAD assuming the good news is on its way!!

From what I read in other postings on this board you cannot work with an expired EAD. I am not sure how that works with the unpaid leave of absence. I would use the search function on this board, because this is a common problem that other people here have solved before. Again, if you already received the INS notice then it should be only a matter of a couple of weeks and well before Jan-24.

Call an IIO tomorrow and just tell them that you heard rumors about a 'freeze' and that you are a little worried if your EAD get's approved in time. Don't tell them about the job switch though! It would be great if you could post what the IIO had to say.

i faced similar problem

Working for a new company, my ead expired within 2 months of joining. as i got a rfe for photographs EAD approval er than usual.
I had to go on unpaid leave for 4 days but there was no break in my service and those four days were considered leave of absence.
In my case HR was extremely cooperative. Check with the new company you are joining, what their policy is regarding this situation.

Why don't you get instant one at INS office

When I got my first EAD at BOSTON INS office it took me 2 hours.
Why don't you go to your local INS office and get same day renewed EAD ( I am not sure if this same day EAD applies to renewal and in cases where it is already in process by post).
-- Bkhote

U are required to have an EAD

if you are not on a visa.
Your present/future employer may ask you to furnish the details (as required by law) and you may approach the local INS office and explain your predicament and request them to issue you with an interim EAD (most local INS offices do issue an interim EAD). Also try talking to your lawyer and a VSC IIO to cover all bases.
Good luck to you.

No worry!

EAD receipt from INS serves as a temporary employment authorization for 90 days, if you don't get your EAD in time.

Thanks for all the replies guys. looks like the client is going to re-hire me for another term, decision should come by the end of today. If it comes I will share the good news.
People on this board are great and its members form a family like bond between 485'ers where you can share with anyone. And and and you expect to get family like responses!! Well, in most cases....

Thanks again!

green485,

Are you sure that receipt is ok and you don't have to worry about EAD renewal .
I read that you can not work if you don't get your renewed EAD in time.
Please confirm what you say.
Others please let us know what your lawyers says.
With halt on 485 approval we all going to be in this dilema soon.
-- BKhote

This is what my lawyer told me. He can provide me a letter stating that the I-765 receipt serves as the temporal EAD for 90 days. I would bring his letter together with the copy of I-765 receipt to my employer, if my EAD renewal does not come in time.

green485

EAD Renewal.. talked to IIO just now

Guys,

I have applied for my EAD renewal on Nov. 12th. Haven't heard anything yet from VSC on that yet.

Just now spoke to an IIO, she asked for my A# and told me that there is no entry yet into their computer system. She told me that it might be still in the mail room and asked me for to wait 10 more days (well...what else we can do??).

Then I also asked about I-485 renewals.. what date are they currently processing.. she said.. they have reached the RD of Oct. 15th 2001.

Thought I'd share this info.

green485

Hi green485,
Can you confirm if its legal to work even for 90 days after the EAD is expired with the EAD renewel notice (RD)??
Because I heard the same thing from my wife's employer but my lawyer says its not legal to work until u have your renewed EAD Card.
I am confused.
Thanks.

EAD renewal

sbalajis:

I am not sure and never did it. But, my lawyer said he was sure about it. I also read the same information from a post some where. You can search it.

green485

same boat

Acc to attorney of my employer(reputed company) also says that I can work with Receipt notice of EAD until 90 days are over from Receipt date, but some say that will affect GC processing.......Can anybody clarify this?